Apr 7, 2013, 1:23 PM EDT
Any type of New Jersey Devils loss would clinch a playoff berth for the Pittsburgh Penguins, according to the NHL’s Twitter feed.
If that doesn’t work out, the Penguins’ next point would do the trick.
Pittsburgh currently has 58 standing points while the Devils are in 10th in the East with 39. The ninth-place Winnipeg Jets have 40, but would make out with 56 points if they won their remaining eight games.
NBC Sports Network will televise the Devils game against the Buffalo Sabres starting at 7:30 p.m. ET on Sunday, so if you hear some random cheers in Pittsburgh, it might be because of a Sabres victory.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 27
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)