Apr 7, 2013, 1:23 PM EST
Any type of New Jersey Devils loss would clinch a playoff berth for the Pittsburgh Penguins, according to the NHL’s Twitter feed.
If that doesn’t work out, the Penguins’ next point would do the trick.
Pittsburgh currently has 58 standing points while the Devils are in 10th in the East with 39. The ninth-place Winnipeg Jets have 40, but would make out with 56 points if they won their remaining eight games.
NBC Sports Network will televise the Devils game against the Buffalo Sabres starting at 7:30 p.m. ET on Sunday, so if you hear some random cheers in Pittsburgh, it might be because of a Sabres victory.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 31
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)