Apr 7, 2013, 1:23 PM EDT
Any type of New Jersey Devils loss would clinch a playoff berth for the Pittsburgh Penguins, according to the NHL’s Twitter feed.
If that doesn’t work out, the Penguins’ next point would do the trick.
Pittsburgh currently has 58 standing points while the Devils are in 10th in the East with 39. The ninth-place Winnipeg Jets have 40, but would make out with 56 points if they won their remaining eight games.
NBC Sports Network will televise the Devils game against the Buffalo Sabres starting at 7:30 p.m. ET on Sunday, so if you hear some random cheers in Pittsburgh, it might be because of a Sabres victory.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)