Apr 7, 2013, 1:23 PM EDT
Any type of New Jersey Devils loss would clinch a playoff berth for the Pittsburgh Penguins, according to the NHL’s Twitter feed.
If that doesn’t work out, the Penguins’ next point would do the trick.
Pittsburgh currently has 58 standing points while the Devils are in 10th in the East with 39. The ninth-place Winnipeg Jets have 40, but would make out with 56 points if they won their remaining eight games.
NBC Sports Network will televise the Devils game against the Buffalo Sabres starting at 7:30 p.m. ET on Sunday, so if you hear some random cheers in Pittsburgh, it might be because of a Sabres victory.
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 0
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 40
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 26
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 48
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 33
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 27
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 46
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)