Apr 7, 2013, 3:20 PM EST
After seeing the Boston Bruins fall short – for the most part -against the Eastern Conference’s top two seeds in the Pittsburgh Penguins and Montreal Canadiens, CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty believes that they’re not “up to snuff.”
Haggerty explains why Boston has a 1-4-1 record in six games against the potent pairing.
That’s how it’s gone for the Bruins this year against both Montreal and Pittsburgh. They’re close to both in terms of competitive ability, but they’re also clearly not as good in a year where they haven’t proven they can beat elite teams.
Sure, each of the five losses to the Habs and Pens (four regulation, one shootout) was by one goal, and those can flip back and fourth depending on the bounce of the puck. But the Black and Gold simply aren’t up to snuff right now against the conference’s best, and there’s work to be done if they hope to beat either one in the Stanley Cup playoffs.
Specifically, Haggerty thinks the team needs to be more attentive on defense, work on line combinations without Patrice Bergeron (more on Jaromir Jagr being juggled around here) and still hope to reach that elusive goal of improving their power play.
Still, many probably poked holes in the Bruins team that won it all in 2011, so you never know.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (117)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)