Apr 6, 2013, 8:06 PM EDT
The incident occurred on Emelin’s fifth shift of the game, at the midway point of the first period. The Montreal blueliner looked as though he tried to hit Lucic, but ended up taking the worst of it:
At the end of the first, the Canadiens said Emelin had suffered a lower-body injury and wouldn’t return.
It’s a tough blow for the Habs, as they came into tonight’s game already down the services of injured defenseman Raphael Diaz, and only recently got Yannick Weber back after he missed nine games with a lower-body injury.
As a result of the Emelin incident, Montreal will now be forced to finish the game with just five healthy rearguards: Josh Gorges, PK Subban, Andrei Markov, Francis Bouillon and newly-acquired Davis Drewiske.
Of note, this isn’t Emelin’s first run-in with the Bruins this season.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Emelin also got into it last night during a spirited scrap with Winnipeg’s Evander Kane.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 20
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 42
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 18
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 60
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 31
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 44
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)