Apr 6, 2013, 8:06 PM EDT
The incident occurred on Emelin’s fifth shift of the game, at the midway point of the first period. The Montreal blueliner looked as though he tried to hit Lucic, but ended up taking the worst of it:
At the end of the first, the Canadiens said Emelin had suffered a lower-body injury and wouldn’t return.
It’s a tough blow for the Habs, as they came into tonight’s game already down the services of injured defenseman Raphael Diaz, and only recently got Yannick Weber back after he missed nine games with a lower-body injury.
As a result of the Emelin incident, Montreal will now be forced to finish the game with just five healthy rearguards: Josh Gorges, PK Subban, Andrei Markov, Francis Bouillon and newly-acquired Davis Drewiske.
Of note, this isn’t Emelin’s first run-in with the Bruins this season.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Emelin also got into it last night during a spirited scrap with Winnipeg’s Evander Kane.
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year deal 2
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 54
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (54)