Apr 6, 2013, 8:06 PM EST
The incident occurred on Emelin’s fifth shift of the game, at the midway point of the first period. The Montreal blueliner looked as though he tried to hit Lucic, but ended up taking the worst of it:
At the end of the first, the Canadiens said Emelin had suffered a lower-body injury and wouldn’t return.
It’s a tough blow for the Habs, as they came into tonight’s game already down the services of injured defenseman Raphael Diaz, and only recently got Yannick Weber back after he missed nine games with a lower-body injury.
As a result of the Emelin incident, Montreal will now be forced to finish the game with just five healthy rearguards: Josh Gorges, PK Subban, Andrei Markov, Francis Bouillon and newly-acquired Davis Drewiske.
Of note, this isn’t Emelin’s first run-in with the Bruins this season.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Emelin also got into it last night during a spirited scrap with Winnipeg’s Evander Kane.
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 49
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 27
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 76
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (76)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)