Apr 6, 2013, 3:41 PM EDT
As the trade deadline approached, the Minnesota Wild had significant interest in former Buffalo Sabres captain Jason Pominville and were willing to give up a lot to get him.
The only problem was that the Wild didn’t have enough cap space to afford the remainder of Pominville’s 2013 cap hit. In the old CBA, fixing that problem would have required some creativity on the part of the general managers. Now it’s a bit simpler.
That helped keep the Wild $100,000 under the cap for the rest of this campaign while also giving them a little extra breather room for the 2013-14 campaign.
Under the new CBA teams can absorb up to 50% of a players’ annual cap hit/salary when the person in question is traded.
Pominville isn’t the first player to be subject to this new rule, but he is nevertheless a high-profile example of a struggling franchise using this tactic to allow a win-now club to stock up talent in a manner that wasn’t quite as feasible before.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
He was hurt on Saturday.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:27 PM EDT
We ask, you answer.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
He was punished for a knee-on-knee hit to Colorado’s Tyson Barrie.
Apr 23, 2014, 8:37 PM EDT
Chicago is trying to even the series.
Apr 23, 2014, 8:03 PM EDT
But Pittsburgh’s lead is far from secure.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:47 PM EDT
He was second in the regular season scoring race.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:33 PM EDT
San Jose will go for the sweep on Thursday.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
Nick Schultz took his place.
Apr 23, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT
The game will start at 8:00 p.m. ET.
Apr 23, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT
Neither team has done a good job of playing with the lead.
Apr 23, 2014, 5:39 PM EDT
He made his series debut in the late stages of Game 3.
Apr 23, 2014, 4:33 PM EDT
“I do look cross-eyed for sure.”
Apr 23, 2014, 4:21 PM EDT
Patrick Roy made it official on Wednesday.
Apr 23, 2014, 3:22 PM EDT
There he is with Patrick Bordeleau’s glove in his face.
Apr 23, 2014, 2:43 PM EDT
Physical battle starting to take its toll.
Apr 23, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
Are changes needed?
Apr 23, 2014, 2:33 PM EDT
All the goals came against Ilya Bryzgalov, which is worth mentioning.
Apr 23, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT
All games can be seen on either NBC, NBCSN or CNBC.
Apr 23, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT
First time he’s been scratched in the playoffs in 10 years.
Apr 23, 2014, 1:10 PM EDT
Two of the NHL’s best offenses have struggled with the man advantage.
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 29
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 38
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 11
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 49
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)