Apr 6, 2013, 3:41 PM EST
As the trade deadline approached, the Minnesota Wild had significant interest in former Buffalo Sabres captain Jason Pominville and were willing to give up a lot to get him.
The only problem was that the Wild didn’t have enough cap space to afford the remainder of Pominville’s 2013 cap hit. In the old CBA, fixing that problem would have required some creativity on the part of the general managers. Now it’s a bit simpler.
That helped keep the Wild $100,000 under the cap for the rest of this campaign while also giving them a little extra breather room for the 2013-14 campaign.
Under the new CBA teams can absorb up to 50% of a players’ annual cap hit/salary when the person in question is traded.
Pominville isn’t the first player to be subject to this new rule, but he is nevertheless a high-profile example of a struggling franchise using this tactic to allow a win-now club to stock up talent in a manner that wasn’t quite as feasible before.
Dec 21, 2013, 10:15 PM EST
He notched No. 694, moving to a tie for seventh.
Dec 21, 2013, 9:09 PM EST
A tall order, if you will.
Dec 21, 2013, 8:26 PM EST
Brutal luck for the winger, Columbus and Slovakia.
Dec 21, 2013, 8:04 PM EST
He was able to skate off with some help from a trainer.
Dec 21, 2013, 7:34 PM EST
Los Angeles took a 3-2 shootout win vs. Colorado on Saturday.
Dec 21, 2013, 7:11 PM EST
Hey, the Islanders get a break.
Dec 21, 2013, 6:53 PM EST
The 51-year-old Washington Capitals coach faces former peers Saturday.
Dec 21, 2013, 6:33 PM EST
He suffered a concussion against Ottawa on Monday.
Dec 21, 2013, 5:42 PM EST
He wants to be a number one goalie, even if it’s not with Washington.
Dec 21, 2013, 5:15 PM EST
It was against the team that drafted him, the Ottawa Senators.
Dec 21, 2013, 4:25 PM EST
He has an upper-body injury.
Dec 21, 2013, 3:58 PM EST
Curtis Glencross and Kris Russell are both sidelined.
Dec 21, 2013, 3:35 PM EST
No decision has been made though.
Dec 21, 2013, 3:06 PM EST
He’ll miss at least a month.
Dec 21, 2013, 2:44 PM EST
He has allowed 10 goals in his last three games.
Dec 21, 2013, 2:09 PM EST
He’s already missed roughly a month this season due to knee problems.
Dec 21, 2013, 1:47 PM EST
He’s expected to play against Ottawa this afternoon.
Dec 21, 2013, 1:38 PM EST
The holiday roster freeze will keep him with Washington for at least one more week.
Dec 21, 2013, 1:00 PM EST
Right when he was starting to rebound…
Dec 21, 2013, 12:17 PM EST
His return isn’t imminent, but he’s making progress.
- Marian Gaborik suffers broken collarbone in return to action 4
- Martin Jones improves to 8-0-0, ties NHL record 12
- Vermette gets hat trick, including late tying goal, OT winner 2
- GM Wilson: It’s too early to tell if Hertl’s season is done 25
- A month later, Martin Erat still wants to be traded 11
- Devils lose Brunner for at least four weeks 0
- Video: Ovechkin becomes sixth fastest player to 400 goals in Caps win 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 16
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 37
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 7
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (108)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (104)
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ (72)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)
- Video: Marchand taunts Canucks with championship miming (69)