Apr 6, 2013, 10:31 PM EDT
The New York Rangers were out-shot by the Carolina Hurricanes on Saturday night and, at times, outplayed.
But thanks to Henrik Lundqvist, they weren’t outscored.
Lundqvist stopped 48 of 49 shots in a virtuoso performance as the Rangers beat the ‘Canes 4-1 in Raleigh, earning high praise from head coach John Tortorella.
“That’s the best I’ve seen him play since I’ve been here,” Tortorella told the New York Daily News.
Torts has been the bench boss in New York since Feb. 2009, and it’s hard to argue with his assessment of Lundqvist’s play. The Swedish ‘tender stopped all 14 shots faced in both the first and second periods before stopping 20 of 21 in the final frame — only Zac Dalpe’s snapshot got by.
The Rangers got goals from Derek Stepan, Ryan Callahan, Rick Nash and Brian Boyle to secure their third win in four games. The victory put them into seventh in the Eastern Conference, tied on 42 points with the Islanders but ahead of their in-state rivals thanks to fewer games played.
Following the contest, Lundqvist reflected on his busy night with a bit of humor for reporters.
“I’m so tired I don’t know what to say right now,” he said, laughing. “Short answers today.”
Here’s more on Lundqvist’s performance from his Rangers teammate, Arron Asham, via Twitter:
What a game by the king could be the best performance by a tender that I have seen #sickgame
— Arron Asham (@TheRealAsham45) April 7, 2013
Oct 25, 2014, 12:50 AM EDT
“I can see, thank God, I can see,” he reportedly said.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:50 AM EDT
She reportedly hasn’t spoken to police since being released from the hospital.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:30 AM EDT
It was the game-winner, too.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:00 AM EDT
Semyon Varlamov’s first win of 2014-15 and Colorado’s first home victory.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
Actually, Taylor Hall probably deserves the most credit for Edmonton’s highlight goal.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:12 PM EDT
Somehow the latter fight didn’t leave a crater in the ice.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:44 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars get the extra point.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:29 PM EDT
Injuries continue to … strike Tampa Bay.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
Update: Vladislav Namestnikov was credited with the last goal.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:59 PM EDT
On the bright side, Michael Grabner may resume skating soon.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:19 PM EDT
Unfortunately, Tampa Bay might face another injury in J.T. Brown.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:13 PM EDT
They send their 2014 first-rounder to the OHL.
Oct 24, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
San Jose’s enjoyed such center depth before.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:32 PM EDT
Tough times lately for St. Louis.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:47 PM EDT
Highly-touted rearguard on his way to the bigs.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Hey, maybe the NHL should try 3-on-3 overtime.
Oct 24, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
Speaking from experience.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:55 PM EDT
Returns to the Cardiff team he played for during the lockout.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:32 PM EDT
All the news and notes from the blue paint…
Oct 24, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
“Anytime you go personal with family…to me, that’s very disrespectful to the player and our profession.”
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)