Apr 6, 2013, 11:23 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils lost 2-1 to Toronto on Saturday, their third straight regulation loss and sixth game without a victory.
It left the Devils 10th in the Eastern Conference, with 39 points, three back of the Islanders for the eighth and final playoff spot.
For some, that would be cause for concern — but head coach Peter DeBoer isn’t there yet.
“I don’t doubt we can string together nine or 10 wins,” DeBoer told Tom Gulitti of the Bergen Record. “We obviously have to get on the other side of that line.
“Right now, we’re on the wrong side of that fine line where we’re just doing enough not to win.”
Despite this, DeBoer’s confidence isn’t waning.
That’s probably because he believes in the group, one that exhibited a high level of play before injuries hit. The Devs were 10-3-4 on Feb. 21, tied on points (24) with Montreal for first spot in the Eastern Conference.
Since then, though, the team has gone 5-11-5 and struggled badly on offense. In their last five games, the Devils have scored just four goals, and sit 29th in the NHL in goals per game.
DeBoer says the solution to the offensive woes must come from within.
“There’s some frustration in not winning. Whether we win 1-0 or 2-1, we have to find a way to win games,” he told The Record. “That’s where the frustration lies and the solution has to come from within the room.”
Mar 12, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT
Still unknown whether he’ll be able to play hockey again.
Mar 12, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
During the first intermission of the Canadiens-Bruins game.
Mar 12, 2014, 3:13 PM EDT
Yet another boarding suspension in the NHL.
Mar 12, 2014, 2:54 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
Mar 12, 2014, 2:29 PM EDT
Just one blogger’s opinion.
Mar 12, 2014, 2:09 PM EDT
Led R.P.I in scoring this season.
Mar 12, 2014, 1:43 PM EDT
Austrian speedster hurt in Monday’s comeback win over Vancouver.
Mar 12, 2014, 1:14 PM EDT
Montreal’s beaten Boston five straight times.
Mar 12, 2014, 12:27 PM EDT
The full interview airs on Costas Tonight this Thursday, Mar. 13 at 12:30 a.m. ET on NBCSN.
Mar 12, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
i.e., do Pierre Karl Peladeau’s political aspirations hurt the chances of the Nordiques being reborn in Quebec City?
Mar 12, 2014, 11:43 AM EDT
“I am not going to comment on specific things about John. It is unfair to him.”
Mar 12, 2014, 11:18 AM EDT
How has Colorado done it?
Mar 12, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Now the man in charge of Southampton F.C.
Mar 12, 2014, 10:36 AM EDT
The feat comes during one of the toughest stretches of his career, though.
Mar 12, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
He was injured against Florida on Sunday.
Mar 12, 2014, 9:28 AM EDT
The Habs have five straight wins against Boston.
Mar 12, 2014, 8:15 AM EDT
That and the rest of the links to start your day ahead.
Mar 12, 2014, 1:21 AM EDT
He received a minor penalty for the hit.
Mar 12, 2014, 1:04 AM EDT
JVR seems OK, though.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:48 PM EDT
Dallas moves into the second wild card spot for now.
- Peverley to undergo heart procedure, will miss rest of season 3
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 5
- Three things the Canucks haven’t done well under Torts 15
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 27
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 6
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 30
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 19
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 61
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (73)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (61)