Apr 6, 2013, 2:43 PM EST
The Phoenix Coyotes chances of making the playoffs are slim at this point, but they might get a boost from the return of goaltender Mike Smith.
The 31-year-old netminder will start on Saturday, according to the Coyotes’ Dave Vest. He sustained an upper-body injury on March 21 when he was charged into by Vancouver Canucks defenseman Alex Edler.
You can see the incident below:
A season ago, Smith was a hero in Phoenix, but he has struggled in 2013. In fact, his understudy Jason LaBarbera has posted vastly superior numbers, albeit while playing in just 13 games (eight of them starts).
If the Coyotes are going to defy the odds and make the playoffs, Smith needs to put his pre-injury problems behind him and finish the season on a high note.
Phoenix will play against Colorado tonight and Smith might get a shot at revenge on Monday when the Coyotes take on the Canucks.
Jan 31, 2015, 5:22 PM EST
Took part in team skate on Saturday.
Jan 31, 2015, 4:47 PM EST
Detroit is forcing itself into the Stanley Cup conversation.
Jan 31, 2015, 4:08 PM EST
Montreal has put pressure on Tampa Bay in the battle for the Eastern Conference lead.
Jan 31, 2015, 2:48 PM EST
He has a degenerative back injury that might lead to career-ending surgery.
Jan 31, 2015, 1:56 PM EST
He gave up five goals against them on Jan. 10.
Jan 31, 2015, 12:57 PM EST
Meanwhile Philadelphia will try to win its fourth straight game.
Jan 31, 2015, 11:57 AM EST
They’ve surpassed the early season expectations.
Jan 31, 2015, 10:11 AM EST
But he seems very reluctant on the matter.
Jan 31, 2015, 9:24 AM EST
Is that what’s best for Carolina in the long term?
Jan 31, 2015, 2:00 AM EST
Anaheim has now lost two straight in regulation for the first time since November.
Jan 31, 2015, 1:15 AM EST
Sabres conclude January with an 0-12-0 record.
Jan 31, 2015, 12:15 AM EST
Shattenkirk had the shootout winner.
Jan 30, 2015, 11:35 PM EST
He’s now tied with Dino Ciccarelli on the all-time points list.
Jan 30, 2015, 11:00 PM EST
Kris Letang has assisted on Pittsburgh’s last seven goals.
Jan 30, 2015, 10:15 PM EST
Mark Hunter has also been a rumored replacement.
Jan 30, 2015, 9:30 PM EST
He’s a restricted free agent after this season.
Jan 30, 2015, 8:45 PM EST
The 18-year-old is playing in his 3rd career AHL game tonight.
Jan 30, 2015, 8:00 PM EST
Was 6-0-0 in his previous seven appearances entering tonight.
Jan 30, 2015, 7:05 PM EST
It could happen at the World Cup though.
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 2
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 24
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 60
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16