Apr 6, 2013, 2:43 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes chances of making the playoffs are slim at this point, but they might get a boost from the return of goaltender Mike Smith.
The 31-year-old netminder will start on Saturday, according to the Coyotes’ Dave Vest. He sustained an upper-body injury on March 21 when he was charged into by Vancouver Canucks defenseman Alex Edler.
You can see the incident below:
A season ago, Smith was a hero in Phoenix, but he has struggled in 2013. In fact, his understudy Jason LaBarbera has posted vastly superior numbers, albeit while playing in just 13 games (eight of them starts).
If the Coyotes are going to defy the odds and make the playoffs, Smith needs to put his pre-injury problems behind him and finish the season on a high note.
Phoenix will play against Colorado tonight and Smith might get a shot at revenge on Monday when the Coyotes take on the Canucks.
Oct 20, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT
Coach Cooper cites the long trip to Edmonton from Syracuse as reason to keep the rookie out against the Oilers.
Oct 20, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
A fairly well-deserved honor.
Oct 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
News and notes from the blue paint…
Oct 20, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
Matt Bartkowski expected to step in tomorrow versus San Jose.
Oct 20, 2014, 2:40 PM EDT
Already has seven points in seven games this season.
Oct 20, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
Oct 20, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
Terrible luck for the 22-year-old rookie d-man.
Oct 20, 2014, 1:23 PM EDT
Club addressed the domestic assault charges in a brief statement Monday.
Oct 20, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
Johan Franzen has been placed on IR.
Oct 20, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT
Lots of questions being asked in Winnipeg.
Oct 20, 2014, 12:46 PM EDT
Court date scheduled for Oct. 22.
Oct 20, 2014, 12:24 PM EDT
Hard lines, T.J. Brodie.
Oct 20, 2014, 12:02 PM EDT
Tampa Bay’s blue line is one of the deepest in the NHL.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:32 AM EDT
Darcy Kuemper has been excellent for the Wild.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:29 AM EDT
Played just over 14 minutes in a loss to Anaheim on Sunday.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:43 AM EDT
Boston hosts San Jose tomorrow.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:37 AM EDT
Was reportedly arrested this morning.
Oct 20, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
They don’t mind killing off his penalties.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:57 AM EDT
It’s no secret that they’re losing a lot of money.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:01 AM EDT
Click the link to see the pictures.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 10
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 23
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 11
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 66
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 4
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (74)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)