Apr 6, 2013, 2:43 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes chances of making the playoffs are slim at this point, but they might get a boost from the return of goaltender Mike Smith.
The 31-year-old netminder will start on Saturday, according to the Coyotes’ Dave Vest. He sustained an upper-body injury on March 21 when he was charged into by Vancouver Canucks defenseman Alex Edler.
You can see the incident below:
A season ago, Smith was a hero in Phoenix, but he has struggled in 2013. In fact, his understudy Jason LaBarbera has posted vastly superior numbers, albeit while playing in just 13 games (eight of them starts).
If the Coyotes are going to defy the odds and make the playoffs, Smith needs to put his pre-injury problems behind him and finish the season on a high note.
Phoenix will play against Colorado tonight and Smith might get a shot at revenge on Monday when the Coyotes take on the Canucks.
Sep 2, 2015, 12:34 PM EDT
Can he beat out Cam Talbot and Ben Scrivens?
Sep 2, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT
“I know that it’s not just me that feels I can be a lot better and be the player that I know I’m going to be and I want to be.”
Sep 2, 2015, 11:47 AM EDT
Another diamond in the rough?
Sep 2, 2015, 10:59 AM EDT
He also wanted them to get swept in the opening playoff round against Nashville, apparently.
Sep 2, 2015, 9:54 AM EDT
After missing most of last season with a back injury.
Sep 2, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
It will be raised before the home opener on Oct. 10.
Sep 2, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Sep 1, 2015, 10:11 PM EDT
They were near the bottom of the league in that regard last season.
Sep 1, 2015, 9:03 PM EDT
“The way he offered his house to me shows what kind of person he is.”
Sep 1, 2015, 7:33 PM EDT
They had strong attendance numbers last season too.
Sep 1, 2015, 6:04 PM EDT
The Blues have a vacancy with Patrik Berglund out for at least four months.
Sep 1, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT
A few players have leapfrogged Steven Stamkos.
Sep 1, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
He played through the injury in 2014-15.
Sep 1, 2015, 2:07 PM EDT
That’s per L.A. GM Dean Lombardi.
Sep 1, 2015, 12:55 PM EDT
Which leaves the question — would they make a move?
Sep 1, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
He spent all of last season with Lehigh Valley.
Sep 1, 2015, 11:10 AM EDT
Sep 1, 2015, 10:04 AM EDT
Veteran forward heads overseas after appearing in 600-plus NHL contests.
Sep 1, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
He’s got plenty of potential, but he doesn’t want to get ahead of himself.
Sep 1, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 10
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 107
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (108)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (78)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)