Apr 6, 2013, 9:24 PM EDT
Earlier this week, ‘Canes GM Jim Rutherford said he was “about as frustrated as you can get” with his hockey club.
Tonight, it’s easy to see why.
(Though technically, Peters is the third-stringer; No. 1 goalie Cam Ward was lost for the remainder of the regular season in March.)
(No wonder Rutherford’s frustrated.)
Tonight was the culmination of what’s been a forgettable week for Ellis.
On Tuesday, he allowed three goals on seven shots before getting pulled against the Capitals, a game Washington went on to win 5-3.
In his next game out — Thursday against Tampa — Ellis lasted the entire game, but was shelled for five goals on 30 shots in a brutal loss to the Bolts.
Tonight, it was back to getting yanked, and while Ellis got caught wandering on New York’s second goal, he was hardly all to blame.
Carolina looked awful defensively, gave up 30 shots through 40 minutes and allowed all three goals in a nine-minute span during the second period.
‘Canes head coach Kirk Muller might’ve pulled Ellis more as a wakeup call to his team than anything else. The fact this happened on home ice only adds to what’s been an increasingly frustrating year for the entire organization.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 0
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 9
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 36
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 55
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)