Apr 6, 2013, 9:24 PM EDT
Earlier this week, ‘Canes GM Jim Rutherford said he was “about as frustrated as you can get” with his hockey club.
Tonight, it’s easy to see why.
(Though technically, Peters is the third-stringer; No. 1 goalie Cam Ward was lost for the remainder of the regular season in March.)
(No wonder Rutherford’s frustrated.)
Tonight was the culmination of what’s been a forgettable week for Ellis.
On Tuesday, he allowed three goals on seven shots before getting pulled against the Capitals, a game Washington went on to win 5-3.
In his next game out — Thursday against Tampa — Ellis lasted the entire game, but was shelled for five goals on 30 shots in a brutal loss to the Bolts.
Tonight, it was back to getting yanked, and while Ellis got caught wandering on New York’s second goal, he was hardly all to blame.
Carolina looked awful defensively, gave up 30 shots through 40 minutes and allowed all three goals in a nine-minute span during the second period.
‘Canes head coach Kirk Muller might’ve pulled Ellis more as a wakeup call to his team than anything else. The fact this happened on home ice only adds to what’s been an increasingly frustrating year for the entire organization.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 10
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)