Apr 6, 2013, 9:24 PM EST
Earlier this week, ‘Canes GM Jim Rutherford said he was “about as frustrated as you can get” with his hockey club.
Tonight, it’s easy to see why.
(Though technically, Peters is the third-stringer; No. 1 goalie Cam Ward was lost for the remainder of the regular season in March.)
(No wonder Rutherford’s frustrated.)
Tonight was the culmination of what’s been a forgettable week for Ellis.
On Tuesday, he allowed three goals on seven shots before getting pulled against the Capitals, a game Washington went on to win 5-3.
In his next game out — Thursday against Tampa — Ellis lasted the entire game, but was shelled for five goals on 30 shots in a brutal loss to the Bolts.
Tonight, it was back to getting yanked, and while Ellis got caught wandering on New York’s second goal, he was hardly all to blame.
Carolina looked awful defensively, gave up 30 shots through 40 minutes and allowed all three goals in a nine-minute span during the second period.
‘Canes head coach Kirk Muller might’ve pulled Ellis more as a wakeup call to his team than anything else. The fact this happened on home ice only adds to what’s been an increasingly frustrating year for the entire organization.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 67
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (67)