Apr 5, 2013, 9:05 AM EDT
Raffi Torres‘ physical style and suspension history have made him some enemies over his career and the San Jose Sharks are certainly one of the teams he has a rocky past with, dating back to his high hit on Milan Michalek in the 2006 playoffs.
Now that the Sharks have acquired Torres, the question is if his new teammates will warm up to him. Torres obviously hopes so.
“I know if it was the other way around, I’d want some of these guys on my team, whether I liked them or not throughout my career,” Torres said in a CSN Bay Area report. “There are some great players in this room, and I’m just here to do my job and help out. I’m not looking to step on any toes or cause any conflict, I just want to do my job, have some fun and win some games.”
For his part, Sharks captain Joe Thornton “was pretty happy, actually” to hear that Torres would be joining the team.
Sharks coach Todd McLellan is looking for Torres to “continue to use what his strengths are” without crossing the line.
The Sharks will play on Friday, but because they’re on a six-game winning streak, McLellan cautioned that Torres might be scratched rather than make his debut. That may give him more time to learn the Sharks’ system, although the 31-year-old forward doesn’t seem to be embracing that idea.
“You can talk systems to me, but I kind of do my own thing out there sometimes. It’s probably cost me a lot of minutes and playing time, but we’ll go over some things, for sure,” Torres said. “It’s all about trying to keep things simple. When I start thinking too much out there, that’s when it starts to go south.”
Meanwhile, how the Sharks fans feel about Torres is another question mark, as CSN discusses in the video below:
Jul 23, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Makes sense for a franchise that frequently favors puck possession.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Can the STAR system help reduce concussions?
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
They’ll feature a “skating-only” ice crew next season.
Jul 23, 2014, 7:53 PM EDT
The crash happened on Monday, according to reports.
Jul 23, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
Will their latest physics improvements make a big difference?
Jul 23, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT
Can they make a compromise by Friday?
Jul 23, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
“We’ll see what happens. It’s a couple years away.”
Jul 23, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Jim Benning, making deals.
Jul 23, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
“Any of the perceived animosity came from the outside.”
Jul 23, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT
His previously “yet-to-be-determined capacity” has been determined.
Jul 23, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT
“My style and build might be better against the bigger guys.”
Jul 23, 2014, 11:34 AM EDT
Won a couple of Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:48 AM EDT
Had seven goals with 21 assists last year for the Avs.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
The 23-year-old can now become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2016.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:56 AM EDT
Derick Brassard and John Moore to go.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Barry Trotz continues Adam Oates’ alteration, at least for now.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Wednesday’s delectable spread of links.
Jul 22, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
They locked him up to a four-year deal on Tuesday.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
He spent last season playing in Switzerland.
Jul 22, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
The Cuban-American could help market the sport.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 2
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 23
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 34
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)