Apr 5, 2013, 9:05 AM EST
Raffi Torres‘ physical style and suspension history have made him some enemies over his career and the San Jose Sharks are certainly one of the teams he has a rocky past with, dating back to his high hit on Milan Michalek in the 2006 playoffs.
Now that the Sharks have acquired Torres, the question is if his new teammates will warm up to him. Torres obviously hopes so.
“I know if it was the other way around, I’d want some of these guys on my team, whether I liked them or not throughout my career,” Torres said in a CSN Bay Area report. “There are some great players in this room, and I’m just here to do my job and help out. I’m not looking to step on any toes or cause any conflict, I just want to do my job, have some fun and win some games.”
For his part, Sharks captain Joe Thornton “was pretty happy, actually” to hear that Torres would be joining the team.
Sharks coach Todd McLellan is looking for Torres to “continue to use what his strengths are” without crossing the line.
The Sharks will play on Friday, but because they’re on a six-game winning streak, McLellan cautioned that Torres might be scratched rather than make his debut. That may give him more time to learn the Sharks’ system, although the 31-year-old forward doesn’t seem to be embracing that idea.
“You can talk systems to me, but I kind of do my own thing out there sometimes. It’s probably cost me a lot of minutes and playing time, but we’ll go over some things, for sure,” Torres said. “It’s all about trying to keep things simple. When I start thinking too much out there, that’s when it starts to go south.”
Meanwhile, how the Sharks fans feel about Torres is another question mark, as CSN discusses in the video below:
Feb 28, 2015, 9:45 AM EST
New York has won four straight overall coming in.
Feb 28, 2015, 1:02 AM EST
L.A. played the night before.
Feb 28, 2015, 12:07 AM EST
Lost to Carolina on Friday.
Feb 27, 2015, 11:17 PM EST
He was traded from Philadelphia to Chicago on Friday.
Feb 27, 2015, 10:34 PM EST
Meanwhile, Calgary’s playoff hopes take another hit.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:56 PM EST
Important win for Boston.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:37 PM EST
Feb 27, 2015, 9:19 PM EST
Should be interesting.
Feb 27, 2015, 8:31 PM EST
Another day, another trade.
Feb 27, 2015, 8:25 PM EST
Pascal Dupuis recently opened up about his condition.
Feb 27, 2015, 7:30 PM EST
The Habs host the Maple Leafs on Saturday.
Feb 27, 2015, 6:37 PM EST
That’s according to multiple reports.
Feb 27, 2015, 6:28 PM EST
Trade deadline is Monday, by the way.
Feb 27, 2015, 5:25 PM EST
Was aiming to play Saturday versus the Rangers.
Feb 27, 2015, 4:34 PM EST
GM Doug Wilson has some decisions to make…
Feb 27, 2015, 3:17 PM EST
So says NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly.
Feb 27, 2015, 3:04 PM EST
Some recommended reading to pass along.
Feb 27, 2015, 2:20 PM EST
Incident occurred during last night’s San Jose-Detroit game.
Feb 27, 2015, 1:53 PM EST
Were dominated by the Red Wings for the final two periods of last night’s loss.
Feb 27, 2015, 1:46 PM EST
News and notes from around the blue paint…
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 0
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 9
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 24
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)