Apr 5, 2013, 9:05 AM EDT
Raffi Torres‘ physical style and suspension history have made him some enemies over his career and the San Jose Sharks are certainly one of the teams he has a rocky past with, dating back to his high hit on Milan Michalek in the 2006 playoffs.
Now that the Sharks have acquired Torres, the question is if his new teammates will warm up to him. Torres obviously hopes so.
“I know if it was the other way around, I’d want some of these guys on my team, whether I liked them or not throughout my career,” Torres said in a CSN Bay Area report. “There are some great players in this room, and I’m just here to do my job and help out. I’m not looking to step on any toes or cause any conflict, I just want to do my job, have some fun and win some games.”
For his part, Sharks captain Joe Thornton “was pretty happy, actually” to hear that Torres would be joining the team.
Sharks coach Todd McLellan is looking for Torres to “continue to use what his strengths are” without crossing the line.
The Sharks will play on Friday, but because they’re on a six-game winning streak, McLellan cautioned that Torres might be scratched rather than make his debut. That may give him more time to learn the Sharks’ system, although the 31-year-old forward doesn’t seem to be embracing that idea.
“You can talk systems to me, but I kind of do my own thing out there sometimes. It’s probably cost me a lot of minutes and playing time, but we’ll go over some things, for sure,” Torres said. “It’s all about trying to keep things simple. When I start thinking too much out there, that’s when it starts to go south.”
Meanwhile, how the Sharks fans feel about Torres is another question mark, as CSN discusses in the video below:
Jul 5, 2015, 9:36 AM EDT
Brandon Dubinsky is the latest to pipe up.
Jul 4, 2015, 11:20 PM EDT
Vancouver started its development camp this weekend.
Jul 4, 2015, 10:10 PM EDT
His offensive totals were down, but was regularly used on penalty kill.
Jul 4, 2015, 8:40 PM EDT
Spent most of the 2014-15 season in the OHL.
Jul 4, 2015, 7:10 PM EDT
They had agreed to terms last weekend.
Jul 4, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT
Played 37 games with Edmonton last season before getting sent back to the WHL.
Jul 4, 2015, 4:10 PM EDT
He signed with Pittsburgh on Wednesday.
Jul 4, 2015, 2:57 PM EDT
Both received two-way deals.
Jul 4, 2015, 2:01 PM EDT
Will he make the 2015-16 Flyers?
Jul 4, 2015, 12:48 PM EDT
Washington’s AHL tandem has more NHL playing experience than Holtby and Grubauer.
Jul 4, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
He usually gets at least one stint in the NHL per season.
Jul 4, 2015, 10:18 AM EDT
The two sides reportedly aren’t close to an agreement.
Jul 4, 2015, 9:09 AM EDT
What role he has could depend on the Kings and league’s decision regarding Slava Voynov.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
Scored 13 goals in 54 games last season.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
He was sentenced in September, 2013.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Spent the last three seasons in the KHL.
Jul 3, 2015, 7:44 PM EDT
Buffalo also signed Cal O’Reilly, who played last season with the AHL Utica Comets.
Jul 3, 2015, 6:43 PM EDT
He signed a six-year, $36 million deal with Columbus.
Jul 3, 2015, 5:44 PM EDT
“Joel is a quality veteran player who can score but also plays an extremely hard-nosed brand of hockey.”
Jul 3, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Could make things interesting next season.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 9
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)