Apr 5, 2013, 9:05 AM EDT
Raffi Torres‘ physical style and suspension history have made him some enemies over his career and the San Jose Sharks are certainly one of the teams he has a rocky past with, dating back to his high hit on Milan Michalek in the 2006 playoffs.
Now that the Sharks have acquired Torres, the question is if his new teammates will warm up to him. Torres obviously hopes so.
“I know if it was the other way around, I’d want some of these guys on my team, whether I liked them or not throughout my career,” Torres said in a CSN Bay Area report. “There are some great players in this room, and I’m just here to do my job and help out. I’m not looking to step on any toes or cause any conflict, I just want to do my job, have some fun and win some games.”
For his part, Sharks captain Joe Thornton “was pretty happy, actually” to hear that Torres would be joining the team.
Sharks coach Todd McLellan is looking for Torres to “continue to use what his strengths are” without crossing the line.
The Sharks will play on Friday, but because they’re on a six-game winning streak, McLellan cautioned that Torres might be scratched rather than make his debut. That may give him more time to learn the Sharks’ system, although the 31-year-old forward doesn’t seem to be embracing that idea.
“You can talk systems to me, but I kind of do my own thing out there sometimes. It’s probably cost me a lot of minutes and playing time, but we’ll go over some things, for sure,” Torres said. “It’s all about trying to keep things simple. When I start thinking too much out there, that’s when it starts to go south.”
Meanwhile, how the Sharks fans feel about Torres is another question mark, as CSN discusses in the video below:
Apr 19, 2015, 9:55 AM EDT
Changes in the crease the theme of the day.
Apr 19, 2015, 2:51 AM EDT
It will be interesting to see what happens as this series heads to Winnipeg.
Apr 19, 2015, 1:40 AM EDT
Series shifts back to Winnipeg.
Apr 19, 2015, 12:41 AM EDT
Had a dominant performance in Game 2.
Apr 18, 2015, 11:56 PM EDT
Anaheim’s veteran forward received a minor penalty on the play.
Apr 18, 2015, 11:13 PM EDT
“I think I bring a really good winning attitude and I have a lot to offer offensively.”
Apr 18, 2015, 11:09 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby scored twice and that helps.
Apr 18, 2015, 10:20 PM EDT
Had one goal in 19 playoff games prior to Saturday.
Apr 18, 2015, 9:25 PM EDT
These teams combined for eight shots in the opening period.
Apr 18, 2015, 9:08 PM EDT
Craig MacTavish has some decisions to make, now that he’s won the Connor McDavid sweepstakes.
Apr 18, 2015, 8:39 PM EDT
St. Louis with the win.
Apr 18, 2015, 8:26 PM EDT
Edmonton wins the Connor McDavid sweeps.
Apr 18, 2015, 7:33 PM EDT
Can the Penguins and Jets even things up?
Apr 18, 2015, 7:01 PM EDT
Not wasting any time.
Apr 18, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
This series is all tied up at 1-1.
Apr 18, 2015, 6:06 PM EDT
Mrazek pulled after two periods.
Apr 18, 2015, 5:44 PM EDT
Deryk Engelland’s game misconduct for instigating was rescinded.
Apr 18, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
Enter Jimmy Howard.
Apr 18, 2015, 4:23 PM EDT
He has his first two of these playoffs.
Apr 18, 2015, 4:13 PM EDT
Congrats to Pullar Stadium and War Memorial Arena.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 6
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 52
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 54
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 161
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 25
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 30
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (162)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)