Apr 5, 2013, 9:05 AM EDT
Raffi Torres‘ physical style and suspension history have made him some enemies over his career and the San Jose Sharks are certainly one of the teams he has a rocky past with, dating back to his high hit on Milan Michalek in the 2006 playoffs.
Now that the Sharks have acquired Torres, the question is if his new teammates will warm up to him. Torres obviously hopes so.
“I know if it was the other way around, I’d want some of these guys on my team, whether I liked them or not throughout my career,” Torres said in a CSN Bay Area report. “There are some great players in this room, and I’m just here to do my job and help out. I’m not looking to step on any toes or cause any conflict, I just want to do my job, have some fun and win some games.”
For his part, Sharks captain Joe Thornton “was pretty happy, actually” to hear that Torres would be joining the team.
Sharks coach Todd McLellan is looking for Torres to “continue to use what his strengths are” without crossing the line.
The Sharks will play on Friday, but because they’re on a six-game winning streak, McLellan cautioned that Torres might be scratched rather than make his debut. That may give him more time to learn the Sharks’ system, although the 31-year-old forward doesn’t seem to be embracing that idea.
“You can talk systems to me, but I kind of do my own thing out there sometimes. It’s probably cost me a lot of minutes and playing time, but we’ll go over some things, for sure,” Torres said. “It’s all about trying to keep things simple. When I start thinking too much out there, that’s when it starts to go south.”
Meanwhile, how the Sharks fans feel about Torres is another question mark, as CSN discusses in the video below:
May 25, 2015, 11:10 PM EDT
It was a reversal from the first frame.
May 25, 2015, 10:57 PM EDT
Maple Leafs prospect Frederik Gauthier had a big game too.
May 25, 2015, 10:11 PM EDT
The first period was all Anaheim.
May 25, 2015, 9:42 PM EDT
The Ducks got off to an ideal start.
May 25, 2015, 9:17 PM EDT
Emerson Etem is a healthy scratch.
May 25, 2015, 8:29 PM EDT
He needed to keep his wrist frozen to play.
May 25, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
He was linked to Nashville’s playoff curfew incident.
May 25, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
The series is tied at 2-2.
May 25, 2015, 5:43 PM EDT
There’s going to be a fight for the No. 1 gig in Detroit.
May 25, 2015, 4:41 PM EDT
Reports out of Swift Current, Saskatchewan.
May 25, 2015, 4:32 PM EDT
May 25, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT
They’re expected to speak again before July 1.
May 25, 2015, 3:31 PM EDT
“One bounce here or there, it’s a different story.”
May 25, 2015, 2:10 PM EDT
Made his NHL debut last season, appearing in 16 games.
May 25, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
He’s eligible to sign an extension this summer.
May 25, 2015, 12:54 PM EDT
“Everyone involved with the ZSC Lions is so excited about seeing him play in Zurich.”
May 25, 2015, 12:44 PM EDT
This won’t quell the Kevin Bieksa trade speculation.
May 25, 2015, 12:31 PM EDT
“A bigger guy, playing a power forward role.”
May 25, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
Featuring a whole lot of Dan Bylsma.
May 25, 2015, 11:26 AM EDT
Have the Bolts learned their lesson?
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 1
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 2
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 25
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)