Apr 5, 2013, 1:38 PM EDT
Injured Florida Panthers forward Stephen Weiss says his contract talks with the club are going well.
On Friday, Weiss told George Richards of the Miami Herald his agent and Panthers GM Dale Tallon have discussed terms for a new deal.
Weiss is set to become a UFA this July.
“It’s nice to be in conversation with [the Panthers], for sure,” he explained. “Obviously, it’s no secret that I’ve loved playing here and last year was a big step for our hockey club.
“I’d love to finish my career here.”
That said, the 30-year-old center — drafted fourth overall by the Panthers in 2001 — recognizes he may have played his last game for the only NHL organization he’s ever known after undergoing season-ending wrist surgery in mid-March.
His six-year, $18.6 million deal will soon expire and it’s likely that, if he goes to market, he’ll get a raise on the modest $3.1 million he made annually.
While he’d like to remain in Florida, he could be one of the top UFA centers available this summer.
“Whether or not [staying in Florida] works out or not remains to be seen,” he said. “We’re going to be talking and communicating and see if we can work something out.”
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (85)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)