Apr 5, 2013, 1:38 PM EDT
Injured Florida Panthers forward Stephen Weiss says his contract talks with the club are going well.
On Friday, Weiss told George Richards of the Miami Herald his agent and Panthers GM Dale Tallon have discussed terms for a new deal.
Weiss is set to become a UFA this July.
“It’s nice to be in conversation with [the Panthers], for sure,” he explained. “Obviously, it’s no secret that I’ve loved playing here and last year was a big step for our hockey club.
“I’d love to finish my career here.”
That said, the 30-year-old center — drafted fourth overall by the Panthers in 2001 — recognizes he may have played his last game for the only NHL organization he’s ever known after undergoing season-ending wrist surgery in mid-March.
His six-year, $18.6 million deal will soon expire and it’s likely that, if he goes to market, he’ll get a raise on the modest $3.1 million he made annually.
While he’d like to remain in Florida, he could be one of the top UFA centers available this summer.
“Whether or not [staying in Florida] works out or not remains to be seen,” he said. “We’re going to be talking and communicating and see if we can work something out.”
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 34
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 10
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (34)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)