Apr 5, 2013, 1:38 PM EDT
Injured Florida Panthers forward Stephen Weiss says his contract talks with the club are going well.
On Friday, Weiss told George Richards of the Miami Herald his agent and Panthers GM Dale Tallon have discussed terms for a new deal.
Weiss is set to become a UFA this July.
“It’s nice to be in conversation with [the Panthers], for sure,” he explained. “Obviously, it’s no secret that I’ve loved playing here and last year was a big step for our hockey club.
“I’d love to finish my career here.”
That said, the 30-year-old center — drafted fourth overall by the Panthers in 2001 — recognizes he may have played his last game for the only NHL organization he’s ever known after undergoing season-ending wrist surgery in mid-March.
His six-year, $18.6 million deal will soon expire and it’s likely that, if he goes to market, he’ll get a raise on the modest $3.1 million he made annually.
While he’d like to remain in Florida, he could be one of the top UFA centers available this summer.
“Whether or not [staying in Florida] works out or not remains to be seen,” he said. “We’re going to be talking and communicating and see if we can work something out.”
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 26
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 16
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 37
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 8
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 44
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 105
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (89)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)