Apr 5, 2013, 1:38 PM EDT
Injured Florida Panthers forward Stephen Weiss says his contract talks with the club are going well.
On Friday, Weiss told George Richards of the Miami Herald his agent and Panthers GM Dale Tallon have discussed terms for a new deal.
Weiss is set to become a UFA this July.
“It’s nice to be in conversation with [the Panthers], for sure,” he explained. “Obviously, it’s no secret that I’ve loved playing here and last year was a big step for our hockey club.
“I’d love to finish my career here.”
That said, the 30-year-old center — drafted fourth overall by the Panthers in 2001 — recognizes he may have played his last game for the only NHL organization he’s ever known after undergoing season-ending wrist surgery in mid-March.
His six-year, $18.6 million deal will soon expire and it’s likely that, if he goes to market, he’ll get a raise on the modest $3.1 million he made annually.
While he’d like to remain in Florida, he could be one of the top UFA centers available this summer.
“Whether or not [staying in Florida] works out or not remains to be seen,” he said. “We’re going to be talking and communicating and see if we can work something out.”
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)