Apr 5, 2013, 1:38 PM EST
Injured Florida Panthers forward Stephen Weiss says his contract talks with the club are going well.
On Friday, Weiss told George Richards of the Miami Herald his agent and Panthers GM Dale Tallon have discussed terms for a new deal.
Weiss is set to become a UFA this July.
“It’s nice to be in conversation with [the Panthers], for sure,” he explained. “Obviously, it’s no secret that I’ve loved playing here and last year was a big step for our hockey club.
“I’d love to finish my career here.”
That said, the 30-year-old center — drafted fourth overall by the Panthers in 2001 — recognizes he may have played his last game for the only NHL organization he’s ever known after undergoing season-ending wrist surgery in mid-March.
His six-year, $18.6 million deal will soon expire and it’s likely that, if he goes to market, he’ll get a raise on the modest $3.1 million he made annually.
While he’d like to remain in Florida, he could be one of the top UFA centers available this summer.
“Whether or not [staying in Florida] works out or not remains to be seen,” he said. “We’re going to be talking and communicating and see if we can work something out.”
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (74)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)