Apr 5, 2013, 9:15 PM EDT
During an interview on the bench, Pittsburgh Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma predicted good things for newly added forward Jussi Jokinen on Thursday. The former Carolina Hurricanes forward delivered, scoring in his first game with the team:
That gave the Penguins a 1-0 lead against the New York Rangers.
Add Jokinen to a list of good-first-impression players that includes (but isn’t limited to) Marian Gaborik, Jaromir Jagr, Derick Brassard and Ryane Clowe. It’s almost as if the 30-year-old forward merely realized that he had to score or he’d look like a slow starter compared to seemingly everyone else.
Granted, it probably would have been seen as a nice debut anyway – as of this writing, Jokinen went an incredible 11-2 in the faceoff circle – but scoring a goal is a great way for him to make an introduction.
Mar 13, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT
After five straight losses.
Mar 13, 2014, 12:42 PM EDT
The rich get richer.
Mar 13, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
“The whole time in my head I never thought about getting traded or leaving at free agency time.”
Mar 13, 2014, 12:12 PM EDT
The Wild have a nice cushion, but a tough remaining schedule.
Mar 13, 2014, 11:48 AM EDT
Just months after he demanded a trade out of Washington.
Mar 13, 2014, 10:50 AM EDT
They have to adjust after losing Michael Grabner.
Mar 13, 2014, 9:58 AM EDT
It looks like the Penguins might stick with that line going forward.
Mar 13, 2014, 9:01 AM EDT
Their pre-Olympic slump seems like a distant memory.
Mar 13, 2014, 8:04 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Mar 13, 2014, 1:47 AM EDT
Memorable moment for him.
Mar 13, 2014, 1:32 AM EDT
Two teams separated by 34 points in the standings.
Mar 13, 2014, 12:50 AM EDT
Mar 13, 2014, 12:27 AM EDT
There’s a new No. 2 seed in the Central Division.
Mar 12, 2014, 11:52 PM EDT
No call on the play.
Mar 12, 2014, 11:28 PM EDT
The climb gets a little steeper.
Mar 12, 2014, 10:51 PM EDT
Mar 12, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT
Mar 12, 2014, 10:12 PM EDT
Closing in on career-high in points in first season with Edmonton.
Mar 12, 2014, 9:33 PM EDT
In his 36th game of the season.
Mar 12, 2014, 9:20 PM EDT
This is a beauty.
- Callahan: I wanted to stay in New York 17
- Playoff bubble watch — Wild edition 5
- Video: Ryan Kesler injured on knee-on-knee collision, on his way back to Vancouver 10
- Discuss: Bruins run over Habs in newest chapter of historic rivalry 23
- Peverley to undergo heart procedure, will miss rest of season 13
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 9
- Three things the Canucks haven’t done well under Torts 22
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 31
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 6
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 30
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (72)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (61)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)