Video: Evander Kane loses it, fights Alexei Emelin

Apr 5, 2013, 1:39 AM EDT

Winnipeg Jets winger Evander Kane is quietly rounding into form as one of the league’s best young forwards. Well, he slips under the radar when he’s not furiously pummeling people, at least.

It’s easy to see why he’s the NHL’s best player named after a famous boxer after watching him blow up and fight Montreal Canadiens defenseman Alexei Emelin:

The Habs got the last laugh with a 4-1 win on Thursday, but wow. Kane received a game misconduct along with his fighting major for that altercation.

It’s worth noting that Zdeno Chara drew criticism for fighting Emelin because the blueliner had his orbital bone rebuilt with a metal plate after a KHL fight in 2009, yet it seems like the guy just gets under people’s skin enough that he might open himself up to needing future repairs.

1. Stiller43 - Apr 5, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Damn, kane got himself some!!!

• natswizskincap - Apr 5, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Some what, air? The guy didn’t land a blow. Kane Failed his team in this game on multiple levels.

2. hauts81 - Apr 5, 2013 at 2:46 AM

Kane’s lucky he didn’t connect when he swung the helmet. Weak move.

• ibieiniid - Apr 5, 2013 at 8:14 AM

understated. it’s not Marty McSorley level, but he’s EXTREMELY lucky he didn’t connect. using a weapon to bash somebody’s head is not hockey, even in it’s most raw form.

3. no - Apr 5, 2013 at 4:03 AM

emelin looks like a 5 year old who tried to swim for the first time and nearly drowned

• natswizskincap - Apr 5, 2013 at 2:19 PM

neither looked good but at least Emelin was swinging around like he was in a girls fight. He just protected himself and let Kane swing and miss.

4. murtdurt - Apr 5, 2013 at 4:44 AM

Someone needs to put Kane in his place. Whipping a helmet at someone’s head is classless

• kinggw - Apr 5, 2013 at 12:41 PM

I dont think he “threw” the helmet at Emelin. It looks like the helmet strap somehow got caught on his arm when he is in the process of throwing a punch. I could be wrong, but his arm never stopped. I think the angle made it look a lot worse than it was.

5. capsfan19 - Apr 5, 2013 at 6:17 AM

John scott vs evander kane, lets make it happen

6. ironyisadeadscene - Apr 5, 2013 at 6:17 AM

Can’t fault Kane, the kid was antagonizing him and he snapped. Don’t agree with the helmet swing but I’m pretty sure Kane was seeing red and not thinking.

7. titansbro - Apr 5, 2013 at 7:10 AM

Throw a dirty forearm in a young superstar’s face & you’re gonna get pummeled. Just usually not the young superstar doing the pummeling.

• tatdue - Apr 5, 2013 at 9:48 AM

I think you are using the word superstar a little loosely considering the guy is only third on his own team in points and league wide sits at 68th! While at the same time he takes a lot of stupid penalties….a category in which he does lead his team, with 72 minutes. I do think the guy has some talent but a superstar he is not…..and I didn’t even get into all the off ice nonsense he gets himself into! You have to be realistic is all….

8. rg3isvictory - Apr 5, 2013 at 7:11 AM

Maybe it’s b/c I’m a former fighter or maybe it’s because I have many more athletic bones in my body than the writer of this blurb, but that was not a fight not did Kane get the better of anybody. He swung and missed just about, if not, every punch and made himself look very silly with all the tuff guy talk afterward. I hope the players and refs on ice took advantage of the great breeze all those haymaker whiffs! What a joke that anybody would look at this so called fight and not be embarrassed by Kane’s performance, but hey he gave it the old college try.

• ibieiniid - Apr 5, 2013 at 8:55 AM

“do you even lift bro?”

-rg3isvictory

9. bucrightoff - Apr 5, 2013 at 7:11 AM

Yeah I’d be pretty mad too if I was choking away the easiest division in sports history. From 3rd to 10th with that loss. After they switch divisions Winnipeg may never make the playoffs again, so this may be it.

• ibieiniid - Apr 5, 2013 at 8:58 AM

that’s a little too bold of a call for me. i’d say, just in recent history (maybe not last year with the broncs, niners, hawks proving me wrong), both the AFC and NFC West divisions have been pretty bad.

10. rg3isvictory - Apr 5, 2013 at 7:16 AM

There was more contact between OVI and The Canes’ Semin in one hip check a few nights ago.

11. rg3isvictory - Apr 5, 2013 at 7:21 AM

Breaking News:

John Erskine and his shadow got into a fight today and more punches were landed. Kane is now training with Erskine’s shadow!

12. sjsharks66 - Apr 5, 2013 at 7:23 AM

It’s ok everyone. It is because Kane is black.

• timsabourin - Apr 5, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Lethal Weapon 2 anyone?????

13. tlndma - Apr 5, 2013 at 7:58 AM

Why the game misconduct? Because of the helmet? I think Kane was just thowing it to the ice. If he were going to hit Emelin with it, why would he let it go? JMO.

• dial1911 - Apr 5, 2013 at 8:24 AM

From the video I would guess he got the game for being an instigator wearing a visor.

• tlndma - Apr 5, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Isn’t that a 10 min misconduct?

14. ethanmacleod1685 - Apr 5, 2013 at 8:32 AM

I read the headline wrong, I cam here to watch Kane lose not ‘lose it’

15. mclovinhockey - Apr 5, 2013 at 9:20 AM

This is not the first time I have seen a player use a helmet as a weapon. I think it was Dubinsky (rangers at the time) Vs Richards (flyers at the time).

The league NEEDS to bring rules into fighting. Believe it or not, there is nothing in the NHL rule book that says you can’t hit someone with a helmet during a fight. You can also punch people on the ground and throw superman punches.

16. sjsharks66 - Apr 5, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I don’t think people understood my comment above. Lol not being racist, just using the excuse Kane used.

Mclovin,

About the rules with fighting. I think that if someone actually used a helmet to start bashing someone in the head, they would receive a pretty hefty suspension. I think all players know just to drop the gloves and fight. I see what you are saying, but i think the league would handle it if it came down to that kind of stuff.

• ibieiniid - Apr 5, 2013 at 10:09 AM

i got it. but word of advice, don’t throw back to things that happened during the lockout. i’ve tried it too (in reference to the wings player that dressed up like tinky winky and got arrested), but apparently nobody on PHT now was reading here during the lockout so most the references are missed.

17. homelanddefense - Apr 5, 2013 at 9:56 AM

If Emelin is going to continue to play the style that he does then you cannot criticize people for fighting him. He is a rat, and people will hold him accountable.

Hell, Im a Bruins fan and I wouldnt mind watching someone break Marchands beak for some of the crap he pulls. Just pointing that out to be consistent, its not about hating Montreal

18. beergold - Apr 5, 2013 at 10:05 AM

If Kane ever grows up he’ll be one of the best players in the league.

19. philly06 - Apr 5, 2013 at 10:49 AM

If Kane could just fight crosby and they both lose somehow that would be nice

20. rg3isvictory - Apr 5, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Philly06-

Crosby would win b/c generally swings at the other play before he knows he’s in a fight. It would be whiff city from there! Maybe they’d both swing so hard, they’d miss and slip onto their heads!

• ironyisadeadscene - Apr 5, 2013 at 1:17 PM

This is true. Crosby went to he Matt Hendricks school of fighting.

• philly06 - Apr 5, 2013 at 1:18 PM

either that or something along the lines of this

21. kicksave1980 - Apr 5, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Evander Kane seems like such a chump, but I think every hockey fan outside of Pittsburgh loved seeing him one-punch KO Matt Cooke a few years ago (in Atlanta).

22. malvaren18 - Apr 5, 2013 at 12:40 PM

This guy needs to start scoring on a more regular basis and not every 5 games.

23. lsxphotog - Apr 5, 2013 at 2:11 PM

HOLY CRAP! I missed this fight somehow! He cleanly connected on a few of those. he was pissed! Nice work.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches