Apr 5, 2013, 1:37 PM EST
In the wake of an 8-2 “rock bottom” loss to Edmonton, the Calgary Flames are hoping for a much better effort tonight in San Jose against a red-hot Sharks side.
“That’s not fun. As players in that room, that’s embarrassing,” Flames forward Matt Stajan said. “We wear that jersey every night in the NHL, we have to put in a better effort than that.”
San Jose, meanwhile, has won six straight.
Once the Flames are finished at the Shark Tank, they’ll fly straight to Vancouver for another tough game Saturday night. The Canucks are coming off one of their best efforts of the season; they shut out the Oilers last night, 4-0, thanks in part to a strong debut from center Derek Roy and another excellent performance from goalie Cory Schneider.
“I’ve said it before — I feel this is the biggest challenge of my career,” Flames coach Bob Hartley said Thursday. “We need to get back in gear. We need to play our hearts out — it’s as simple as this. Pride. Obviously with the moves that we made, it’s pretty clear that we’re looking at investing (in the future), but while investing you can’t quit. I’m challenging our guys every day. It’s all about pride.”
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 16
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 28
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 6
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 20
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 53
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 52
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 58
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 12
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 16
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)