Apr 5, 2013, 1:37 PM EDT
In the wake of an 8-2 “rock bottom” loss to Edmonton, the Calgary Flames are hoping for a much better effort tonight in San Jose against a red-hot Sharks side.
“That’s not fun. As players in that room, that’s embarrassing,” Flames forward Matt Stajan said. “We wear that jersey every night in the NHL, we have to put in a better effort than that.”
San Jose, meanwhile, has won six straight.
Once the Flames are finished at the Shark Tank, they’ll fly straight to Vancouver for another tough game Saturday night. The Canucks are coming off one of their best efforts of the season; they shut out the Oilers last night, 4-0, thanks in part to a strong debut from center Derek Roy and another excellent performance from goalie Cory Schneider.
“I’ve said it before — I feel this is the biggest challenge of my career,” Flames coach Bob Hartley said Thursday. “We need to get back in gear. We need to play our hearts out — it’s as simple as this. Pride. Obviously with the moves that we made, it’s pretty clear that we’re looking at investing (in the future), but while investing you can’t quit. I’m challenging our guys every day. It’s all about pride.”
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 11
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 12
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 66
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 89
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)