Apr 5, 2013, 1:37 PM EDT
In the wake of an 8-2 “rock bottom” loss to Edmonton, the Calgary Flames are hoping for a much better effort tonight in San Jose against a red-hot Sharks side.
“That’s not fun. As players in that room, that’s embarrassing,” Flames forward Matt Stajan said. “We wear that jersey every night in the NHL, we have to put in a better effort than that.”
San Jose, meanwhile, has won six straight.
Once the Flames are finished at the Shark Tank, they’ll fly straight to Vancouver for another tough game Saturday night. The Canucks are coming off one of their best efforts of the season; they shut out the Oilers last night, 4-0, thanks in part to a strong debut from center Derek Roy and another excellent performance from goalie Cory Schneider.
“I’ve said it before — I feel this is the biggest challenge of my career,” Flames coach Bob Hartley said Thursday. “We need to get back in gear. We need to play our hearts out — it’s as simple as this. Pride. Obviously with the moves that we made, it’s pretty clear that we’re looking at investing (in the future), but while investing you can’t quit. I’m challenging our guys every day. It’s all about pride.”
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)