Apr 5, 2013, 10:31 PM EDT
Buffalo kept its shaky postseason hopes alive with a 4-2 win against the Ottawa Senators while Ryan Miller made history.
Miller, 32, passed Dominik Hasek for first all-time in Sabres history for saves, finishing the night with 35 stops to push his franchise (and career) total to 13,332. Sabres PR guy Ian Ott points out that his mark gives him the sixth-most saves for a goalie with a single franchise.
Moving back to more immediate numbers, the Sabres are now four points out of eighth place with 36 points. There are plenty of good news/bad news bits:
- Sure, they’re four points away, but three other teams are closer to the eighth-ranked New York Islanders (40 points).
- Sports Club Stats still only gives them a 5.5 percent shot.
- On the other hand, the Sabres play seven of their final 10 games at home. That could boost their numbers considerably (their outlook improved by 2.6 percent tonight, for instance).
In the grand scheme of things, all those numbers can be a little dizzying. Sports Club Stats also gives teams a benchmark to shoot for, record-wise:
7-0-3 finish: 81.9 percent chance
8-2-0 finish: 66.1 percent chance
7-1-2 finish: 59.4 percent chance
6-0-4 finish: 53.0 percent chance
Things fall off the map quickly once you get into 7-2-1 territory (33.7 percent chance), though, so Buffalo would need to be close-to-perfect to make it happen.
Then again, many probably didn’t expect Miller to break one of Hasek’s club records when he began his days as Buffalo’s No. 1 either, so you never know.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Jamie McGinn and John Mitchell also rank among the already-wounded.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:08 PM EDT
Peter Chiarelli also (kinda sorta) addressed Johnny Boychuk rumors.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
He won’t be paid or count against the cap while he’s injured.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
Everyone wins … except Minnesota’s other goalies.
Sep 18, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Maybe the English version of his book will be kinder?
Sep 18, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
Sep 18, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
He fits right in with the Flyers.
Sep 18, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Could be a slow road to recovery.
Sep 18, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
At least the Blue Jackets’ GM is ruling out surgery.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:51 PM EDT
He’ll miss at least months, GM Ron Hextall said.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:16 PM EDT
Hey, he’s got less than eight years to go.
Sep 18, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
“I don’t think I had a conversation with Torts until Christmas last year.”
Sep 18, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
“The next time I’ll talk publicly about Jaden is when we sign him.”
Sep 18, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
Never boring in Toronto.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT
And it’s probably going to be Ryan McDonagh.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:12 PM EDT
Two key youngsters on a Stars team with high hopes.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT
Former first-round pick missed extensive time to a torn ACL.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:42 AM EDT
Taken 16th overall in 2007.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT
Remember him? Taken 3rd overall in 2004… behind Alex Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
Tough blow for a kid looking to make the leap this season.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)