Apr 5, 2013, 10:31 PM EDT
Buffalo kept its shaky postseason hopes alive with a 4-2 win against the Ottawa Senators while Ryan Miller made history.
Miller, 32, passed Dominik Hasek for first all-time in Sabres history for saves, finishing the night with 35 stops to push his franchise (and career) total to 13,332. Sabres PR guy Ian Ott points out that his mark gives him the sixth-most saves for a goalie with a single franchise.
Moving back to more immediate numbers, the Sabres are now four points out of eighth place with 36 points. There are plenty of good news/bad news bits:
- Sure, they’re four points away, but three other teams are closer to the eighth-ranked New York Islanders (40 points).
- Sports Club Stats still only gives them a 5.5 percent shot.
- On the other hand, the Sabres play seven of their final 10 games at home. That could boost their numbers considerably (their outlook improved by 2.6 percent tonight, for instance).
In the grand scheme of things, all those numbers can be a little dizzying. Sports Club Stats also gives teams a benchmark to shoot for, record-wise:
7-0-3 finish: 81.9 percent chance
8-2-0 finish: 66.1 percent chance
7-1-2 finish: 59.4 percent chance
6-0-4 finish: 53.0 percent chance
Things fall off the map quickly once you get into 7-2-1 territory (33.7 percent chance), though, so Buffalo would need to be close-to-perfect to make it happen.
Then again, many probably didn’t expect Miller to break one of Hasek’s club records when he began his days as Buffalo’s No. 1 either, so you never know.
Aug 29, 2014, 6:29 PM EDT
“I’m sleeping with it tonight.”
Aug 29, 2014, 4:57 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks let him walk.
Aug 29, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Team has needs at center.
Aug 29, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Played 20 career games with Boston.
Aug 29, 2014, 2:15 PM EDT
Was schedule for Ontario Superior Court Sept. 8
Aug 29, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT
A pair of hilarious ads to promote the game.
Aug 29, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
Heading into a contract year, lots on his shoulders.
Aug 29, 2014, 11:05 AM EDT
Scored 135 goals and 299 points in four seasons with the London Knights.
Aug 29, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
Spent the past two seasons in Edmonton.
Aug 29, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
Their cap situation and defensive logjam might lead them to make a trade.
Aug 29, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
“It’s amazing how an accident like this puts things in perspective.”
Aug 29, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
They won the Presidents’ Trophy, but fell in the second round.
Aug 28, 2014, 10:46 PM EDT
Will one be named this season?
Aug 28, 2014, 9:33 PM EDT
The new coach wants the Penguins to ‘lessen the load.’
Aug 28, 2014, 8:21 PM EDT
It wasn’t even close.
Aug 28, 2014, 7:11 PM EDT
They have a lot of players on their roster with something to prove.
Aug 28, 2014, 5:59 PM EDT
There’s no timetable for his return.
Aug 28, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT
The former first round pick is entering the last season of his entry-level contract.
Aug 28, 2014, 3:35 PM EDT
Chris Stewart seems to think so.
Aug 28, 2014, 2:29 PM EDT
Arizona or Carolina could relocate according to the host.
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 28
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 30
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 25