Apr 5, 2013, 10:31 PM EDT
Buffalo kept its shaky postseason hopes alive with a 4-2 win against the Ottawa Senators while Ryan Miller made history.
Miller, 32, passed Dominik Hasek for first all-time in Sabres history for saves, finishing the night with 35 stops to push his franchise (and career) total to 13,332. Sabres PR guy Ian Ott points out that his mark gives him the sixth-most saves for a goalie with a single franchise.
Moving back to more immediate numbers, the Sabres are now four points out of eighth place with 36 points. There are plenty of good news/bad news bits:
- Sure, they’re four points away, but three other teams are closer to the eighth-ranked New York Islanders (40 points).
- Sports Club Stats still only gives them a 5.5 percent shot.
- On the other hand, the Sabres play seven of their final 10 games at home. That could boost their numbers considerably (their outlook improved by 2.6 percent tonight, for instance).
In the grand scheme of things, all those numbers can be a little dizzying. Sports Club Stats also gives teams a benchmark to shoot for, record-wise:
7-0-3 finish: 81.9 percent chance
8-2-0 finish: 66.1 percent chance
7-1-2 finish: 59.4 percent chance
6-0-4 finish: 53.0 percent chance
Things fall off the map quickly once you get into 7-2-1 territory (33.7 percent chance), though, so Buffalo would need to be close-to-perfect to make it happen.
Then again, many probably didn’t expect Miller to break one of Hasek’s club records when he began his days as Buffalo’s No. 1 either, so you never know.
Jul 22, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
The Cuban-American could help market the sport.
Jul 22, 2014, 7:38 PM EDT
Turning over a new leaf?
Jul 22, 2014, 6:13 PM EDT
That’s $1 million less than his reported asking price.
Jul 22, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
It’s believed to be worth $2.55 million overall.
Jul 22, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
Another buy-low bargain like Mason Raymond?
Jul 22, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Jul 22, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
Also went to bat for Jumbo Joe.
Jul 22, 2014, 12:27 PM EDT
Coming off an impressive rookie season.
Jul 22, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
How ’bout that headline for some alliteration.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT
His name is Kyle Dubas.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
Click for the full schedule of games on NBC and NBCSN.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:19 AM EDT
Had 14 goals and 15 assists, with 209 PIM, in 2013-14.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:01 AM EDT
Excited to join “the toughest team” the Leafs played last season,
Jul 22, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
They didn’t make any big splashes this summer.
Jul 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
That and all the links to start your day.
Jul 21, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
He does know what the advanced stats say though.
Jul 21, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
More depth for a Stanley Cup hopeful.
Jul 21, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT
Trade rumors around the Jets star never stop swirling.
Jul 21, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
Mike Johnston is going out of his way to know his players.
Jul 21, 2014, 6:04 PM EDT
But hasn’t been charged with a crime.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 15
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 11
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 26
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 56
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (60)