Apr 5, 2013, 10:31 PM EDT
Buffalo kept its shaky postseason hopes alive with a 4-2 win against the Ottawa Senators while Ryan Miller made history.
Miller, 32, passed Dominik Hasek for first all-time in Sabres history for saves, finishing the night with 35 stops to push his franchise (and career) total to 13,332. Sabres PR guy Ian Ott points out that his mark gives him the sixth-most saves for a goalie with a single franchise.
Moving back to more immediate numbers, the Sabres are now four points out of eighth place with 36 points. There are plenty of good news/bad news bits:
- Sure, they’re four points away, but three other teams are closer to the eighth-ranked New York Islanders (40 points).
- Sports Club Stats still only gives them a 5.5 percent shot.
- On the other hand, the Sabres play seven of their final 10 games at home. That could boost their numbers considerably (their outlook improved by 2.6 percent tonight, for instance).
In the grand scheme of things, all those numbers can be a little dizzying. Sports Club Stats also gives teams a benchmark to shoot for, record-wise:
7-0-3 finish: 81.9 percent chance
8-2-0 finish: 66.1 percent chance
7-1-2 finish: 59.4 percent chance
6-0-4 finish: 53.0 percent chance
Things fall off the map quickly once you get into 7-2-1 territory (33.7 percent chance), though, so Buffalo would need to be close-to-perfect to make it happen.
Then again, many probably didn’t expect Miller to break one of Hasek’s club records when he began his days as Buffalo’s No. 1 either, so you never know.
Sep 29, 2014, 11:18 PM EDT
Cory Conacher is probably up next.
Sep 29, 2014, 10:44 PM EDT
He’s running out of opportunities to get into an exhibition contest.
Sep 29, 2014, 9:35 PM EDT
The timing is interesting.
Sep 29, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
This is a critical season for him.
Sep 29, 2014, 8:29 PM EDT
He won’t return to Monday’s game.
Sep 29, 2014, 7:54 PM EDT
This has been a rough preseason for Columbus.
Sep 29, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
Will he be able to build off of his 2013-14 campaign though?
Sep 29, 2014, 5:51 PM EDT
This is certainly the time to do that.
Sep 29, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT
Has two goals in the preseason.
Sep 29, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
Next up: Brenden Dillon.
Sep 29, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT
If you were a member of the Dallas Stars at the turn of the century, you could get a job next!
Sep 29, 2014, 3:02 PM EDT
Prospects Nic Kerdiles and Stefan Noesen headed to AHL Norfolk.
Sep 29, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
Bo Horvat may have the inside track over Hunter Shinkaruk and Nicklas Jensen to make Vancouver’s opening-day roster.
Sep 29, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
Veteran blueliner suffered a separated shoulder during the preseason.
Sep 29, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
Leafs forward injured once again.
Sep 29, 2014, 12:47 PM EDT
Pair of once-touted prospects now up for grabs.
Sep 29, 2014, 12:40 PM EDT
Peter Chiarelli addressed the media today in Boston.
Sep 29, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
After re-upping with Brad Stuart earlier.
Sep 29, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
But, “If it is, it is.”
Sep 29, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
Both have over 100 games of NHL experience.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)