Apr 5, 2013, 10:46 AM EDT
The slash that Minnesota forward Dany Heatley took on Wednesday has proven to be costly.
Heatley, who was whacked by former Sharks teammate Marc-Edouard Vlasic (Vlasic was fined just over $8k for the incident), will be out for at least the next couple of weeks, according to Wild GM Chuck Fletcher.
Prior to getting hurt, the 32-year-old forward had appeared in 36 of Minnesota’s 37 games this year, scoring 21 points while sitting third on the team in goals (11). Heatley also averaged 18:32 TOI per game.
“He adds a lot to our group — power play, goal scoring, big body. We’ve got to make up for that, somebody’s going to have to step up, somebody’s going to have to elevate their game,” Wild head coach Mike Yeo told Mike Russo of the Minnesota Star-Tribune. “That’s two key guys that we lost the last couple games.”
The other guy, of course, is center Matt Cullen, who suffered a lower-body injury on Monday and has missed the last two games.
Russo said the original plan was for Cullen to rejoin the Wild this Sunday for a game against Columbus, but that plan is now doubtful as Cullen’s taking longer to recover than originally expected.
In a related move, the Wild called up rookie Mikael Granlund from AHL Houston. Granlund has been in the American League since mid-March after his solid start to the NHL campaign fizzled.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)