Devils’ Larsson isn’t thrilled about being a frequent healthy scratch

Apr 5, 2013, 11:55 PM EDT

adamlarssongetty Getty Images

Whether he’s the future of the New Jersey Devils defense, it’s clear that Adam Larsson isn’t the go-to guy in the present.

It sounds like he’s on the verge of being a healthy scratch for the third game in a row on a struggling team. The 20-year-old admitted more than a little frustration about his situation to The Bergen Record.

“I guess that’s up to the coach. It isn’t up to me,” Larsson said. “If I get a spot in the lineup, I will give all I can to stay in there. But it’s pretty tough right now and I don’t have probably the best confidence. I guess that’s normal when you’re sitting. Like I’ve always said, it’s never fun. I don’t think it ever will be fun to sit out. So, it’s frustrating, it’s tough, but I guess that’s part of the process.”

The fourth overall pick of the 2011 NHL Draft didn’t sound all that convincing that he’s really taking it in stride, though.

“To be honest, of course I know that my defensive play has to be better and I think I improved that this year,” Larsson said. “But, at the same time, I don’t have the same confidence with the puck right now and that’s probably one of the reasons I focus more of the defense. But, like I and the coaches said, it’s a process and I’m still learning.”

You almost wonder if getting a little playing time in the AHL might do Larsson some good, but the Devils obviously have their own (historically successful) way of doing things.

Latest Posts
  1. Islanders ink Anders Lee to a four-year, $15 million extension

Jun 30, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT

EDMONTON, AB - MARCH 06: Anders Lee #27 of the New York Islanders celebrates a goal against the Edmonton Oilers during an NHL game at Rexall Place on March 06, 2014 in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Getty Images

He was set to become a restricted free agent on Wednesday.

2. Wings buy out Weiss after two rocky seasons

Jun 30, 2015, 8:27 PM EDT

Stephen Weiss Getty Images

Detroit’s creating an opportunity for one of its young forwards.

3. Trade: Oilers get Korpikoski from Coyotes for Gordon

Jun 30, 2015, 8:06 PM EDT

Lauri Korpikoski Getty Images

Arizona is getting back its former center.

4. Saad, Jackets working on an extension ‘as we speak’

Jun 30, 2015, 8:04 PM EDT

Brandon Saad Brandon Saad

He’s set to become a restricted free agent on Wednesday.

5. Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone

Jun 30, 2015, 7:36 PM EDT

Los Angeles Kings v New York Rangers Getty Images

He hasn’t been charged with a crime, but is reportedly being investigated.

6. Ducks stay busy, name former Adams winner MacLean assistant coach

Jun 30, 2015, 6:37 PM EDT

Paul MacLean AP

Won NHL’s coach of the year in 2013 with Ottawa.

7. Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose

Jun 30, 2015, 6:07 PM EDT

Kevin Bieksa Getty Images

Where he’ll be reunited with former teammate Ryan Kesler.

8. Treliving, Flames not concerned about ‘noise’ coming out of Boston

Jun 30, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT

Brad Treliving Brad Treliving

Calgary’s GM responded to comments in a Boston Herald story regarding defenseman Dougie Hamilton.

9. Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago

Jun 30, 2015, 5:25 PM EDT

2015 NHL Stanley Cup Final - Game Six Getty Images

A total of seven players involved in Tuesday’s trade.

10. Detroit signs Smith to two-year, $5.5 million extension

Jun 30, 2015, 3:54 PM EDT

Brendan Smith AP

RFA defenseman appeared in a career-high 76 games last year.

11. Defensemen Hunwick, Bartkowski to become UFAs

Jun 30, 2015, 3:39 PM EDT

Tampa Bay Lightning v New York Rangers - Game Seven Getty Images

Rangers and Bruins let their respective rearguards walk, thereby deepening the free agent pool.

12. Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames

Jun 30, 2015, 2:04 PM EDT

Dougie Hamilton AP

Cap hit around $5.75 million.

13. No buyout: Flyers will keep Gagner

Jun 30, 2015, 1:31 PM EDT

Arizona Coyotes v Buffalo Sabres Getty Images

Former first-round pick is relieved after a “stressful” last few days.

14. Habs re-sign deadline pickup Flynn: two years, $1.9 million

Jun 30, 2015, 1:14 PM EDT

Montreal Canadiens v Toronto Maple Leafs Getty Images

Former Buffalo forward had three points in six playoff games for Montreal.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches