Devils’ Larsson isn’t thrilled about being a frequent healthy scratch

Apr 5, 2013, 11:55 PM EDT

adamlarssongetty Getty Images

Whether he’s the future of the New Jersey Devils defense, it’s clear that Adam Larsson isn’t the go-to guy in the present.

It sounds like he’s on the verge of being a healthy scratch for the third game in a row on a struggling team. The 20-year-old admitted more than a little frustration about his situation to The Bergen Record.

“I guess that’s up to the coach. It isn’t up to me,” Larsson said. “If I get a spot in the lineup, I will give all I can to stay in there. But it’s pretty tough right now and I don’t have probably the best confidence. I guess that’s normal when you’re sitting. Like I’ve always said, it’s never fun. I don’t think it ever will be fun to sit out. So, it’s frustrating, it’s tough, but I guess that’s part of the process.”

The fourth overall pick of the 2011 NHL Draft didn’t sound all that convincing that he’s really taking it in stride, though.

“To be honest, of course I know that my defensive play has to be better and I think I improved that this year,” Larsson said. “But, at the same time, I don’t have the same confidence with the puck right now and that’s probably one of the reasons I focus more of the defense. But, like I and the coaches said, it’s a process and I’m still learning.”

You almost wonder if getting a little playing time in the AHL might do Larsson some good, but the Devils obviously have their own (historically successful) way of doing things.

Latest Posts
  1. Modano: Stars need more from Benn, Lehtonen and Seguin

Apr 19, 2014, 1:29 AM EDT

Jamie Benn, Mike Modano AP

Ryan Getzlaf, Frederik Andersen and Corey Perry “are winning that battle,” he said.

2. Alfredsson praises ‘outstanding’ Howard after shutting out B’s

Apr 18, 2014, 11:59 PM EDT

Howard AP

“It was one individual effort that made the difference today.”

3. Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind

Apr 18, 2014, 10:27 PM EDT

Lucic spear

There was no penalty on the play.

4. Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1

Apr 18, 2014, 10:08 PM EDT

Jimmy Howard, Niklas Kronwall, Patrice Bergeron AP

Jimmy Howard had a shutout in the goaltending duel.

5. Playoff viewership way up through first two days

Apr 18, 2014, 9:09 PM EDT

nbcsn_acronym_logo_horizontal_finalsmall

Naturally, the Blackhawks-Blues triple-overtime game was very popular.

6. Video: Bruins establish physical game early

Apr 18, 2014, 8:51 PM EDT

Pavel Datsyuk, Patrice Bergeron Pavel Datsyuk, Patrice Bergeron

Detroit was near the bottom of the pack in hits in the regular season.

7. Video: Canadiens end long power-play drought

Apr 18, 2014, 8:34 PM EDT

Montreal goal

They took a 1-0 lead over Tampa Bay in the process.

8. Chicago looks past triple-overtime loss

Apr 18, 2014, 8:23 PM EDT

Chicago Blackhawks v St. Louis Blues - Game One Getty Images

“We expected a tough series against (St. Louis).”

9. Yeo argues Wild need to be more physical with rookie MacKinnon

Apr 18, 2014, 7:43 PM EDT

Nathan MacKinnon AP

The rookie had three assists last night.

10. WATCH LIVE: Detroit Red Wings at Boston Bruins (Game 1)

Apr 18, 2014, 7:04 PM EDT

Gustav Nyquist, Tuukka Rask AP

The last of the first round series is about to begin.

11. Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’

Apr 18, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT

Joel Quenneville AP

This isn’t the first time he’s been fined.

12. Poile: Nashville’s defense will be best we’ve ever had

Apr 18, 2014, 5:59 PM EDT

sethjonesgetty Getty Images

That’s a pretty bold statement, given that Nashville used to have blueliners like Kimmo Timonen and Ryan Suter.

13. Report: AHL could have new division in western U.S.

Apr 18, 2014, 5:06 PM EDT

AHLlogo

Apparently, the “Coyotes, Ducks, Kings, and Sharks are on board” with relocating their minor-league affiliates closer to home.

Detroit must exploit Boston's young D