Apr 5, 2013, 11:31 PM EDT
While there’s no debating the fact that Michael Del Zotto elbowed James Neal late in the Pittsburgh Penguins’ 2-1 shootout win against the New York Rangers on Friday, there’s plenty of debate about his intent.
Del Zotto told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that he was just bracing himself during the collision, but admitted that the NHL might perceive the exchange differently.
“I think they just dumped (the puck) in, and I knew I was going to get hit on the forecheck,” Del Zotto said. “I just tried to kind of reverse hit and brace myself. I’m not sure exactly what happened.”
The Penguins provided mix reactions. Head coach Dan Bylsma didn’t really give the 22-year-old defenseman a free pass and didn’t provide a lot of detail about Neal’s status.
“Don’t have an update right now,” Bylsma said. “I don’t think there is any question what the contact was and where (Del Zotto) made contact.”
Depth forward Craig Adams was a bit more diplomatic.
“I can’t say that it was intentional. But the fact is, he elbowed him right in the chin. That’s not good,” Adams said. “You have to give the refs the benefit of the doubt. If they would have seen it, they would have called it.”
Either way, a Neal injury could be a dirty blow to the Penguins’ chances.
Check out the video one more time:
Sep 20, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
He was asked how he would have handled the Ray Rice situation.
Sep 20, 2014, 6:07 PM EDT
Do Thornton and Marleau disagree with coach Todd McLellan on this point?
Sep 20, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
It’s his first chance to provide his argument for why he should make the team.
Sep 20, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
Tough timing for him as he had been playing alongside fellow countryman David Krejci.
Sep 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Optimistic about sticking with the big club out of camp.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Listed as day-to-day.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
Expected to miss a couple days according to Randy Carlyle.
Sep 20, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
Discussions regarding deal are on-going.
Sep 20, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
Experimentation process has begun as team looks for secondary scoring.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Stars searching for a suitable No. 2 behind Kari Lehtonen.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
After playing in just 16 games in 2013-14, he’s looking to be a contributor this season.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
Undrafted defenseman looking to make an impression at camp.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets would settle for far less after he scored just 19 last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
The last thing he wants is to suffer a setback by rushing his recovery.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
That’s not the only summer statement he took exception to.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Bob Suter was a defenseman on the “Miracle on Ice” team.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT
That usually doesn’t end well, but this might be an exception.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
He suffered three concussions in under a year.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
It’s part of the reason why the defenseman is playing for Washington.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
He suffered a concussion last season.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 17
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)