Apr 5, 2013, 11:09 AM EDT
Kyle Quincey will be back for Detroit on Friday, albeit with a different look.
The 27-year-old defenseman will be wearing a full face cage against the Avalanche, protecting his face after suffering a broken cheekbone in mid-March.
He doesn’t sound all that excited about the protective gear.
“You have bars in front of your eyes,” Quincey told the Detroit Free Press. “You have a black cage in front of you and a black puck coming at you.
“So especially with the vision, you’ve got to be that much better with the puck in your hands.”
The facial fracture was just the latest setback in what’s been a disappointing year. Quincey only has two points through 26 games — a significant dropoff from a guy that scored 38 points in 2008-09 — and has seen his TOI average dip below 20 (he’s getting 19:12 a night).
That said, the Wings are still pleased to have him back.
The club is in a bit of a slide, having lost three of their last four, but will get Quincey back for the Colorado game and debut newly-acquired D Danny DeKeyser, the former Western Michigan University standout that recently signed with the Wings as a college free agent.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)