Apr 5, 2013, 11:09 AM EDT
Kyle Quincey will be back for Detroit on Friday, albeit with a different look.
The 27-year-old defenseman will be wearing a full face cage against the Avalanche, protecting his face after suffering a broken cheekbone in mid-March.
He doesn’t sound all that excited about the protective gear.
“You have bars in front of your eyes,” Quincey told the Detroit Free Press. “You have a black cage in front of you and a black puck coming at you.
“So especially with the vision, you’ve got to be that much better with the puck in your hands.”
The facial fracture was just the latest setback in what’s been a disappointing year. Quincey only has two points through 26 games — a significant dropoff from a guy that scored 38 points in 2008-09 — and has seen his TOI average dip below 20 (he’s getting 19:12 a night).
That said, the Wings are still pleased to have him back.
The club is in a bit of a slide, having lost three of their last four, but will get Quincey back for the Colorado game and debut newly-acquired D Danny DeKeyser, the former Western Michigan University standout that recently signed with the Wings as a college free agent.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)