Apr 5, 2013, 11:09 AM EDT
Kyle Quincey will be back for Detroit on Friday, albeit with a different look.
The 27-year-old defenseman will be wearing a full face cage against the Avalanche, protecting his face after suffering a broken cheekbone in mid-March.
He doesn’t sound all that excited about the protective gear.
“You have bars in front of your eyes,” Quincey told the Detroit Free Press. “You have a black cage in front of you and a black puck coming at you.
“So especially with the vision, you’ve got to be that much better with the puck in your hands.”
The facial fracture was just the latest setback in what’s been a disappointing year. Quincey only has two points through 26 games — a significant dropoff from a guy that scored 38 points in 2008-09 — and has seen his TOI average dip below 20 (he’s getting 19:12 a night).
That said, the Wings are still pleased to have him back.
The club is in a bit of a slide, having lost three of their last four, but will get Quincey back for the Colorado game and debut newly-acquired D Danny DeKeyser, the former Western Michigan University standout that recently signed with the Wings as a college free agent.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 1
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 23
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 30
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)