Wild’s Heatley hurt at end of loss to Sharks

Apr 4, 2013, 3:04 AM EDT

Minnesota Wild v Phoenix Coyotes Getty Images

Michael Russo of the Minneapolis Star Tribune is reporting that Minnesota Wild head coach Mike Yeo indicated following Wednesday’s game against the San Jose Sharks that Dany Heatley could miss time with what may be a wrist injury.

The injury appears to have happened during an altercation between Heatley and Sharks defenseman Marc-Edouard Vlasic at the end of the game – a 4-2 Sharks win.

Based on post-game comments, it seemed the two players had a running feud from the previous shift. Vlasic was assessed a major penalty for slashing at the end of the game, when he took a wicked hack at Heatley.

“He just swung at me and I swung at him,” Vlasic told the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

“He could have easily hit me. I wasn’t intending to hurt him. I just wanted to slash him because he took a swing at me and missed. He got me the shift before. If he’s going to slash me, I’m going to defend myself and just swing back and unfortunately I got him. I didn’t want to hurt him. If he’s going to slash me I was just defending myself and swung back.

“… Unfortunately I got him in the wrist or shoulder. I’m not sure where I got him. That was not my intent. My intent was just to defend myself.”
Latest Posts
  1. New Oilers GM Chiarelli interviews McLellan

May 6, 2015, 9:33 AM EDT

Todd McLellan AP

The former Sharks coach seems to have interest in Edmonton.

2. Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight

May 6, 2015, 8:56 AM EDT

Carey Price, AP

Montreal hopes to avoid falling behind 3-0 in its series against Tampa Bay.

3. Wild’s Parise: ‘There’s got to be something more we can do’

May 6, 2015, 1:32 AM EDT

Getty Images

Facing elimination and possible sweep, Minnesota is frustrated.

4. Video: Controversial no-goal call on Flames

May 6, 2015, 12:30 AM EDT

Similar to what happened to Martin Gelinas in 2004.

5. Video: Crawford the difference in Blackhawks Game 3 win over Wild

May 5, 2015, 11:12 PM EDT

Getty Images

Chicago has Minnesota on the brink of elimination.

6. Boucher contacted about return to coaching in NHL — is it with the Leafs?

May 5, 2015, 9:19 PM EDT

Getty Images

“But it would certainly be in the right situation, with the right people.”

7. Price, Benn, Ovechkin named Lindsay Award finalists

May 5, 2015, 7:14 PM EDT

2014 NHL Heritage Classic Rink Build Out Getty Images

For the league’s Most Outstanding Player, voted on by NHLPA members.

8. Prust fined $5K for ‘baseless and demeaning’ Watson comments

May 5, 2015, 6:32 PM EDT

Ottawa Senators v Montreal Canadiens - Game Two Getty Images

Punishment handed down shortly after the Montreal forward apologized publicly.

9. Desharnais (illness) likely back for Habs in Game 3

May 5, 2015, 6:15 PM EDT

David Desharnais Getty Images

Diminutive forward sat out Sunday with the flu.

10. Prospective Seattle NHL owner has an arena Plan B

May 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT

Storm Saviors Basketball AP

Victor Coleman’s “priority” remains the SoDo site, but if that one doesn’t work out…

11. (Video) PHT Extra: In praise of Braden Holtby

May 5, 2015, 3:54 PM EDT

New York Rangers v Washington Capitals - Game Three Getty Images

Scoring on the Capitals hasn’t been easy for the New York Rangers.

12. Columbus has picked its new captain, says Davidson

May 5, 2015, 1:57 PM EDT

Buffalo Sabres v Columbus Blue Jackets Getty Images

“He’s popped, he’s a person that’s carried himself with outstanding leadership.”

Holtby becoming big-time goalie