Wild’s Heatley hurt at end of loss to Sharks

Apr 4, 2013, 3:04 AM EDT

Minnesota Wild v Phoenix Coyotes Getty Images

Michael Russo of the Minneapolis Star Tribune is reporting that Minnesota Wild head coach Mike Yeo indicated following Wednesday’s game against the San Jose Sharks that Dany Heatley could miss time with what may be a wrist injury.

The injury appears to have happened during an altercation between Heatley and Sharks defenseman Marc-Edouard Vlasic at the end of the game – a 4-2 Sharks win.

Based on post-game comments, it seemed the two players had a running feud from the previous shift. Vlasic was assessed a major penalty for slashing at the end of the game, when he took a wicked hack at Heatley.

“He just swung at me and I swung at him,” Vlasic told the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

“He could have easily hit me. I wasn’t intending to hurt him. I just wanted to slash him because he took a swing at me and missed. He got me the shift before. If he’s going to slash me, I’m going to defend myself and just swing back and unfortunately I got him. I didn’t want to hurt him. If he’s going to slash me I was just defending myself and swung back.

“… Unfortunately I got him in the wrist or shoulder. I’m not sure where I got him. That was not my intent. My intent was just to defend myself.”
Latest Posts
  1. Habs’ St. Pierre heads back to KHL

Jul 25, 2014, 12:09 PM EDT

MartinStPierre Getty Images

But not before having played his first NHL game since 2009-10.

2. Methot’s new deal with Sens ‘going to be multi-year’

Jul 25, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT

MarcMethot Getty Images

“It’s a fairly simple one because Marc wants to be here,”

3. Detroit re-signs Ferraro: one year, $550,000

Jul 25, 2014, 10:13 AM EDT

LandonFerraro Getty Images

The 32nd overall pick at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.

4. Deschamps agrees to terms with Finnish squad

Jul 25, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Nicolas Deschamps Getty Images

He made his NHL debut with Washington last season.

5. ‘Hawks 2011 first-round pick Danault told to emulate Kruger

Jul 24, 2014, 11:08 PM EDT

Phillip Danault Getty Images

In other words, they want him to be a shutdown center

6. Julien points to Eriksson as answer to Iginla departure

Jul 24, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT

louierikssongetty Getty Images

Eriksson’s looking to bounce back after suffering two concussions last season.

7. Booth eager to prove he ‘can play in this League again’

Jul 24, 2014, 9:06 PM EDT

NEWARK, NJ - OCTOBER 24: David Booth #7 of the Vancouver Canucks skates against the New Jersey Devils at the Prudential Center on October 24, 2013 in Newark, New Jersey. The Canucks defeated the Devils 3-2 in the shootout. (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images) Getty Images

He’ll get a fresh start after struggling with Vancouver.

8. Jets re-sign Ellerby despite not qualifying him

Jul 24, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT

Keaton Ellerby Getty Images

He’s coming back after testing the free agent waters.

9. Flames sign Ortio for two more years

Jul 24, 2014, 5:53 PM EDT

Joni Ortio Getty Images

He started in nine games for the Flames last season.

10. Vancouver signs ’14 first-rounder Jared McCann

Jul 24, 2014, 4:42 PM EDT

Jared McCann Getty Images

The Canucks selected him with one of the picks they got from the Ryan Kesler trade.

11. Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract

Jul 24, 2014, 3:31 PM EDT

Lars Eller Getty Images

The two sides managed to avoid arbitration despite a $1.45 million gap on a one-year deal.

12. B’s re-sign Warsofsky: one year, $600,000

Jul 24, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT

DavidWarsofsky Getty Images

Alternately known as “the guy Boston got for Vladimir Sobotka.”

13. Veteran NHLer Pyatt signs in Swiss league

Jul 24, 2014, 2:19 PM EDT

Taylor Pyatt

Journeyman split last season between the Rangers and Penguins.

14. Avs ‘confident’ they’ll reach deal with Barrie, says Sakic

Jul 24, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT

Tyson Barrie #4 of the Colorado Avalanche and head coach Patrick Roy appear on the bench during their preseason game against the Los Angeles Kings at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on September 28, 2013 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Colorado won 3-2.
(September 27, 2013 - Source: Ethan Miller/Getty Images North America) Getty Images

Offensive d-man led all Colorado blueliners in goals last year, with 13.

15. Isles, Poulin avoid arbitration with one-year, two-way deal

Jul 24, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT

Kevin Poulin

He’s likely to be the No. 3 goalie in New York this year.

16. Bruins name Sacco assistant coach

Jul 24, 2014, 11:26 AM EDT

Joe Sacco AP

Former Colorado bench boss and Massachusetts native returns home.

17. Avs hope to learn from ‘nightmare’ playoff finish

Jul 24, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Minnesota Wild v Colorado Avalanche - Game Seven Getty Images

“Maybe it just wasn’t our time yet,” Patrick Roy said.

Bettman hears the boos in Philly
Top 10 NHL Player Searches