Apr 4, 2013, 8:23 PM EST
Boston Bruins fans welcomed Jaromir Jagr with a standing ovation and plenty of appreciation. The future Hall of Famer returned the favor by scoring his first goal in his first game in what some might call “Bruins style.”
In other words, it was a scrappy, ugly goal.
That’s not to say that Boston cannot score pretty ones – Jagr is likely to generate quite a few with current linemates Tyler Seguin and Brad Marchand – but many probably didn’t expect this kind of work from the 41-year-old.
(He even has a blocked shot as well on Thursday, another endearing figure on a team that clearly values two-way play.)
This marks the 680th goal of the Czech legend’s NHL career, by the way.
As a bonus, here’s video of the standing ovation:
Dec 21, 2013, 3:58 PM EST
Curtis Glencross and Kris Russell are both sidelined.
Dec 21, 2013, 3:35 PM EST
No decision has been made though.
Dec 21, 2013, 3:06 PM EST
He’ll miss at least a month.
Dec 21, 2013, 2:44 PM EST
He has allowed 10 goals in his last three games.
Dec 21, 2013, 2:09 PM EST
He’s already missed roughly a month this season due to knee problems.
Dec 21, 2013, 1:47 PM EST
He’s expected to play against Ottawa this afternoon.
Dec 21, 2013, 1:38 PM EST
The holiday roster freeze will keep him with Washington for at least one more week.
Dec 21, 2013, 1:00 PM EST
Right when he was starting to rebound…
Dec 21, 2013, 12:17 PM EST
His return isn’t imminent, but he’s making progress.
Dec 21, 2013, 11:36 AM EST
It’s believed that he was hurt on Thursday.
Dec 21, 2013, 11:11 AM EST
It’s a two-year deal.
Dec 21, 2013, 10:26 AM EST
He leads American-born goaltenders in GAA and save percentage.
Dec 21, 2013, 9:41 AM EST
They’ll preview the Winter Classic tonight.
Dec 21, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
Oilers coach Dallas Eakins also raised the issue with the officials.
Dec 20, 2013, 11:12 PM EST
The latest round in one of the league’s great rivalries.
Dec 20, 2013, 10:54 PM EST
Winnipeg beat Florida 5-2.
Dec 20, 2013, 10:19 PM EST
The Rangers lost to the Islanders 5-3 on Friday.
Dec 20, 2013, 10:02 PM EST
He had about 100 loved ones on hand in New Jersey.
Dec 20, 2013, 9:48 PM EST
He managed the feat in 634 games.
Dec 20, 2013, 9:17 PM EST
A little improvement everyday for St. Louis’ captain.
- GM Wilson: It’s too early to tell if Hertl’s season is done 8
- A month later, Martin Erat still wants to be traded 9
- Devils lose Brunner for at least four weeks 0
- Video: Ovechkin becomes sixth fastest player to 400 goals in Caps win 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 16
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 37
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 7
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ 71
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 66
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 33
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (108)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (104)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)