Apr 4, 2013, 8:23 PM EDT
Boston Bruins fans welcomed Jaromir Jagr with a standing ovation and plenty of appreciation. The future Hall of Famer returned the favor by scoring his first goal in his first game in what some might call “Bruins style.”
In other words, it was a scrappy, ugly goal.
That’s not to say that Boston cannot score pretty ones – Jagr is likely to generate quite a few with current linemates Tyler Seguin and Brad Marchand – but many probably didn’t expect this kind of work from the 41-year-old.
(He even has a blocked shot as well on Thursday, another endearing figure on a team that clearly values two-way play.)
This marks the 680th goal of the Czech legend’s NHL career, by the way.
As a bonus, here’s video of the standing ovation:
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 71
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 54
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 34
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)