Apr 4, 2013, 8:23 PM EDT
Boston Bruins fans welcomed Jaromir Jagr with a standing ovation and plenty of appreciation. The future Hall of Famer returned the favor by scoring his first goal in his first game in what some might call “Bruins style.”
In other words, it was a scrappy, ugly goal.
That’s not to say that Boston cannot score pretty ones – Jagr is likely to generate quite a few with current linemates Tyler Seguin and Brad Marchand – but many probably didn’t expect this kind of work from the 41-year-old.
(He even has a blocked shot as well on Thursday, another endearing figure on a team that clearly values two-way play.)
This marks the 680th goal of the Czech legend’s NHL career, by the way.
As a bonus, here’s video of the standing ovation:
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)