Apr 4, 2013, 8:23 PM EDT
Boston Bruins fans welcomed Jaromir Jagr with a standing ovation and plenty of appreciation. The future Hall of Famer returned the favor by scoring his first goal in his first game in what some might call “Bruins style.”
In other words, it was a scrappy, ugly goal.
That’s not to say that Boston cannot score pretty ones – Jagr is likely to generate quite a few with current linemates Tyler Seguin and Brad Marchand – but many probably didn’t expect this kind of work from the 41-year-old.
(He even has a blocked shot as well on Thursday, another endearing figure on a team that clearly values two-way play.)
This marks the 680th goal of the Czech legend’s NHL career, by the way.
As a bonus, here’s video of the standing ovation:
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 2
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 42
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 48
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)