Apr 4, 2013, 8:23 PM EDT
Boston Bruins fans welcomed Jaromir Jagr with a standing ovation and plenty of appreciation. The future Hall of Famer returned the favor by scoring his first goal in his first game in what some might call “Bruins style.”
In other words, it was a scrappy, ugly goal.
That’s not to say that Boston cannot score pretty ones – Jagr is likely to generate quite a few with current linemates Tyler Seguin and Brad Marchand – but many probably didn’t expect this kind of work from the 41-year-old.
(He even has a blocked shot as well on Thursday, another endearing figure on a team that clearly values two-way play.)
This marks the 680th goal of the Czech legend’s NHL career, by the way.
As a bonus, here’s video of the standing ovation:
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 7
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 21
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 18
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36