Apr 4, 2013, 1:51 PM EDT
In the wake of some heavy criticism for Capitals general manager George McPhee following yesterday’s trade that sent prospect Filip Forsberg to Nashville for veteran forward Martin Erat, ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun has a possible explanation:
I believe the Caps were going to trade Forsberg at some point no matter what, internally souring on the prospect, a player they no longer viewed as a top center in the making.
Scouts I’ve spoken with have mixed opinions. Some still view him as a top center in the making, at least a No. 2, but others are concerned by his foot speed. The latter is what concerned Washington.
Forsberg, 18, was Washington’s first-round pick (11th overall) at the 2012 draft.
Obviously, we’ll have to wait and see how his NHL career turns out. Maybe McPhee is proven right. Maybe not.
Regardless, it’s always going to raise eyebrows when a general manager, especially one that may be on the hot seat, trades away a top prospect for a player that’s in the good-but-not-great (and-getting-kinda-old) category. Is the GM looking out for the team’s best long-term interests? Or, is he looking out for himself?
Washington hosts the Islanders tonight. With a win and a Winnipeg regulation loss in Montreal, the Caps would take over first place in the Southeast Division.
Update (2:14 p.m. ET):
Here’s what agent Allan Walsh had to say about the above:
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)