Apr 4, 2013, 3:24 PM EDT
The National Hockey League’s Department of Player Safety has fined San Jose Sharks defenseman Marc-Edouard Vlasic $8,378.38 for this slash on Minnesota’s Dany Heatley on Wednesday:
Vlasic was given a five-minute major and game misconduct but, as per Kevin Kurz of CSNBayArea.com, argued that Heatley had it coming.
“If he’s going to slash me, I’m going to defend myself and just swing back, and unfortunately I got him,” Vlasic said. “I didn’t want to hurt him.
“If he’s going to slash me I was just defending myself, and swung back.”
Heatley appeared in significant pain following the incident and quickly skated off the ice.
According to Mike Russo of the Minnesota Star-Tribune, Wild GM Chuck Fletcher would only say that Heatley is “out” and that there’s no timeframe for return.
Elaborating (slightly) further, head coach Mike Yeo said Heatley would be out a while…and the Wild did call up Mikael Granlund from AHL Houston this afternoon.
Of note, Vlasic’s fine is his maximum allowable under the NHL’s collective bargaining agreement. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance fund.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)