Apr 4, 2013, 3:24 PM EST
The National Hockey League’s Department of Player Safety has fined San Jose Sharks defenseman Marc-Edouard Vlasic $8,378.38 for this slash on Minnesota’s Dany Heatley on Wednesday:
Vlasic was given a five-minute major and game misconduct but, as per Kevin Kurz of CSNBayArea.com, argued that Heatley had it coming.
“If he’s going to slash me, I’m going to defend myself and just swing back, and unfortunately I got him,” Vlasic said. “I didn’t want to hurt him.
“If he’s going to slash me I was just defending myself, and swung back.”
Heatley appeared in significant pain following the incident and quickly skated off the ice.
According to Mike Russo of the Minnesota Star-Tribune, Wild GM Chuck Fletcher would only say that Heatley is “out” and that there’s no timeframe for return.
Elaborating (slightly) further, head coach Mike Yeo said Heatley would be out a while…and the Wild did call up Mikael Granlund from AHL Houston this afternoon.
Of note, Vlasic’s fine is his maximum allowable under the NHL’s collective bargaining agreement. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance fund.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)