Apr 4, 2013, 3:24 PM EDT
The National Hockey League’s Department of Player Safety has fined San Jose Sharks defenseman Marc-Edouard Vlasic $8,378.38 for this slash on Minnesota’s Dany Heatley on Wednesday:
Vlasic was given a five-minute major and game misconduct but, as per Kevin Kurz of CSNBayArea.com, argued that Heatley had it coming.
“If he’s going to slash me, I’m going to defend myself and just swing back, and unfortunately I got him,” Vlasic said. “I didn’t want to hurt him.
“If he’s going to slash me I was just defending myself, and swung back.”
Heatley appeared in significant pain following the incident and quickly skated off the ice.
According to Mike Russo of the Minnesota Star-Tribune, Wild GM Chuck Fletcher would only say that Heatley is “out” and that there’s no timeframe for return.
Elaborating (slightly) further, head coach Mike Yeo said Heatley would be out a while…and the Wild did call up Mikael Granlund from AHL Houston this afternoon.
Of note, Vlasic’s fine is his maximum allowable under the NHL’s collective bargaining agreement. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance fund.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)