Apr 4, 2013, 3:24 PM EDT
The National Hockey League’s Department of Player Safety has fined San Jose Sharks defenseman Marc-Edouard Vlasic $8,378.38 for this slash on Minnesota’s Dany Heatley on Wednesday:
Vlasic was given a five-minute major and game misconduct but, as per Kevin Kurz of CSNBayArea.com, argued that Heatley had it coming.
“If he’s going to slash me, I’m going to defend myself and just swing back, and unfortunately I got him,” Vlasic said. “I didn’t want to hurt him.
“If he’s going to slash me I was just defending myself, and swung back.”
Heatley appeared in significant pain following the incident and quickly skated off the ice.
According to Mike Russo of the Minnesota Star-Tribune, Wild GM Chuck Fletcher would only say that Heatley is “out” and that there’s no timeframe for return.
Elaborating (slightly) further, head coach Mike Yeo said Heatley would be out a while…and the Wild did call up Mikael Granlund from AHL Houston this afternoon.
Of note, Vlasic’s fine is his maximum allowable under the NHL’s collective bargaining agreement. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance fund.
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 42
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)