Apr 4, 2013, 3:24 PM EDT
The National Hockey League’s Department of Player Safety has fined San Jose Sharks defenseman Marc-Edouard Vlasic $8,378.38 for this slash on Minnesota’s Dany Heatley on Wednesday:
Vlasic was given a five-minute major and game misconduct but, as per Kevin Kurz of CSNBayArea.com, argued that Heatley had it coming.
“If he’s going to slash me, I’m going to defend myself and just swing back, and unfortunately I got him,” Vlasic said. “I didn’t want to hurt him.
“If he’s going to slash me I was just defending myself, and swung back.”
Heatley appeared in significant pain following the incident and quickly skated off the ice.
According to Mike Russo of the Minnesota Star-Tribune, Wild GM Chuck Fletcher would only say that Heatley is “out” and that there’s no timeframe for return.
Elaborating (slightly) further, head coach Mike Yeo said Heatley would be out a while…and the Wild did call up Mikael Granlund from AHL Houston this afternoon.
Of note, Vlasic’s fine is his maximum allowable under the NHL’s collective bargaining agreement. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance fund.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 0
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 8
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 38
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)