NHL fines Sharks’ Vlasic for Heatley slash — but no suspension

Apr 4, 2013, 3:24 PM EDT

The National Hockey League’s Department of Player Safety has fined San Jose Sharks defenseman Marc-Edouard Vlasic $8,378.38 for this slash on Minnesota’s Dany Heatley on Wednesday:

Vlasic was given a five-minute major and game misconduct but, as per Kevin Kurz of CSNBayArea.com, argued that Heatley had it coming.

“If he’s going to slash me, I’m going to defend myself and just swing back, and unfortunately I got him,” Vlasic said. “I didn’t want to hurt him.

“If he’s going to slash me I was just defending myself, and swung back.”

Heatley appeared in significant pain following the incident and quickly skated off the ice.

According to Mike Russo of the Minnesota Star-Tribune, Wild GM Chuck Fletcher would only say that Heatley is “out” and that there’s no timeframe for return.

Elaborating (slightly) further, head coach Mike Yeo said Heatley would be out a while…and the Wild did call up Mikael Granlund from AHL Houston this afternoon.

Of note, Vlasic’s fine is his maximum allowable under the NHL’s collective bargaining agreement. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance fund.

1. sjsblitz - Apr 4, 2013 at 3:34 PM

So much for being an %&**ing All-Star

2. r4n6er - Apr 4, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Okay, so when are they going to fine Heatly?

3. ibieiniid - Apr 4, 2013 at 3:39 PM

is it me or is this a f’n joke of a fine? just because heatley got hurt? sure, it’s extracurricular, but any player could get hurt on ANY slash. and i know it happened at the end of the game and it wouldn’t hafta be enforced, but that’s a 2 min penalty IMO.

4. sjsharks66 - Apr 4, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Whatever, it was worth it i bet. Pickles is always being pushed around. Was good to see him stand up for himself.

Had Heater connected with his slash does this all cancel out? Both fined?

• joelwrobinson - Apr 4, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Shocking to see you arent calling for doug wilson to be fired after this.

5. uscthom78 - Apr 4, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Doesn’t the wild always seem to be screwed when it comes to disciplinary issues.

• coyotes89 - Apr 4, 2013 at 4:25 PM

I watched the game. And it was obvious something was going to happen between them in advance. Heatly didn’t deserve an injury. But he kind of earned it himself.

• kopy - Apr 4, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Something may have happened in advance, but the exchange in question started with Vlasic giving a cross check from behind followed by a slash.

• coyotes89 - Apr 4, 2013 at 4:52 PM

I said I watched the game. So posting a video kind of becomes ignorant I would say

• kopy - Apr 4, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Sorry for wasting internet.

• lordfletcher - Apr 4, 2013 at 8:21 PM

@coyotes89

Kopy posting the video is just him pointing out a situation for everyone… not just you!

Don’t be crying child

6. sjsharks66 - Apr 4, 2013 at 3:51 PM

How are the wild screwed with disciplines?

• kopy - Apr 4, 2013 at 4:34 PM

I don’t think the Wild are getting screwed on anything, but I do think they have had an usually high number of fined/suspended hits against them. Between Taylor Hall, Corey Perry, and Vlasic, they’ve been cheap shot magnets lately.

7. rrino - Apr 4, 2013 at 4:03 PM

I think if Heatley would have connected he would have gotten fined/suspended for sure. He took a hell of a chop at Vlasic. Same old NHL punishing the result instead of the action. I also think its funny that Vlasic says “and unfortunately I got him”, what was your intentions in swinging in the first place, to miss?

8. sjsharks66 - Apr 4, 2013 at 4:06 PM

I think he meant unfortunately i got him and it injured him. He probably was going for one of those “love tap” F-you types of slashes.

9. bustmustplus - Apr 4, 2013 at 4:37 PM

LOL sucks plugs

10. sjsharks66 - Apr 4, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Was this the same guy Marleau was getting cross checked in the back then two wild players started throwing punches at him?? Or was that another game?

You stand in front of the net/crease you get cross checked. Thats how it is in EVERY game.

11. norcalsportsknowledge - Apr 4, 2013 at 5:13 PM

So I guess it’s a good thing Heatley can’t hit the broadside of a barn anymore. He saved himself some $ by whiffing on Pickle. Maybe the next guy won’t be so quick to mess with pickle.

12. sjsharks66 - Apr 4, 2013 at 5:36 PM

That was a very intelligent comment. Again look at clowes game last night.
    That is all there is to say.

Murray deal- ok
    Clowe deal- bad
    Handzus deal- good
    Torres deal- disgusting

Leave it at that. This article has nothing to do with that. Jump off Wilsons lap and stop bringing me up in all your comments. ;)

• lordfletcher - Apr 4, 2013 at 8:23 PM

its nice to see that SJ has one passionate fan

13. kitshky - Apr 4, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Punished for injury not for intent, didn’t see that one coming…

Keep up the good work NHL!

14. northstarnic - Apr 4, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Seems like the perfect organization for Torres.

15. sjsharks66 - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Oh man lord, you have no idea. ;)
    Bleed black and teal.

• lordfletcher - Apr 4, 2013 at 11:53 PM

odd colors to bleed, don’t yeah think :)

16. sjsharks66 - Apr 5, 2013 at 12:15 AM

The only colors to bleed ;)

Detroit must exploit Boston's young D