Apr 4, 2013, 11:45 AM EST
Perhaps it’s appropriate that Steve Mason (a goaltender that was at the heart of his former team’s problems) could get his first start for the Flyers (a team that’s been through countless struggling goalies) in a place like Toronto (where goaltending has been at the heart of the Maple Leafs’ problems for the last decade).
Still no official word from the Flyers, but that may well be the case tonight at the Air Canada Centre, where Philadelphia will try to win its fourth straight game against a Leafs side that’s closing in on its first playoff appearance since 2004.
(Update 12:21 p.m. ET: Mason says he’s not starting, but read the rest of the post anyway, OK? The Flyers play Saturday in Winnipeg. Maybe he’ll start then.)
According to Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren, 24-year-old Mason — who was traded from Columbus yesterday — could figure prominently in Philly’s future.
“We see him as one of our two goalies,” Holmgren said. “Not only for the rest of this year, but moving forward. We’ll just leave it at that for now.”
Of course, the Flyers also have 32-year-old Ilya Bryzgalov signed through 2019-20.
Bryzgalov is 16-14-3 with a .899 save percentage this season.
Mason is 3-6-1 with an identical .899 save percentage.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvrith makes Sabres debut 0
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 17
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 33
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 33
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)