Apr 4, 2013, 11:45 AM EDT
Perhaps it’s appropriate that Steve Mason (a goaltender that was at the heart of his former team’s problems) could get his first start for the Flyers (a team that’s been through countless struggling goalies) in a place like Toronto (where goaltending has been at the heart of the Maple Leafs’ problems for the last decade).
Still no official word from the Flyers, but that may well be the case tonight at the Air Canada Centre, where Philadelphia will try to win its fourth straight game against a Leafs side that’s closing in on its first playoff appearance since 2004.
(Update 12:21 p.m. ET: Mason says he’s not starting, but read the rest of the post anyway, OK? The Flyers play Saturday in Winnipeg. Maybe he’ll start then.)
According to Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren, 24-year-old Mason — who was traded from Columbus yesterday — could figure prominently in Philly’s future.
“We see him as one of our two goalies,” Holmgren said. “Not only for the rest of this year, but moving forward. We’ll just leave it at that for now.”
Of course, the Flyers also have 32-year-old Ilya Bryzgalov signed through 2019-20.
Bryzgalov is 16-14-3 with a .899 save percentage this season.
Mason is 3-6-1 with an identical .899 save percentage.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Without Shea Weber, Predators can’t contain Hawks in Game 3 14
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 19
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 5
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 13
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 88
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 70
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 167
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (167)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (88)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)