Apr 4, 2013, 11:45 AM EDT
Perhaps it’s appropriate that Steve Mason (a goaltender that was at the heart of his former team’s problems) could get his first start for the Flyers (a team that’s been through countless struggling goalies) in a place like Toronto (where goaltending has been at the heart of the Maple Leafs’ problems for the last decade).
Still no official word from the Flyers, but that may well be the case tonight at the Air Canada Centre, where Philadelphia will try to win its fourth straight game against a Leafs side that’s closing in on its first playoff appearance since 2004.
(Update 12:21 p.m. ET: Mason says he’s not starting, but read the rest of the post anyway, OK? The Flyers play Saturday in Winnipeg. Maybe he’ll start then.)
According to Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren, 24-year-old Mason — who was traded from Columbus yesterday — could figure prominently in Philly’s future.
“We see him as one of our two goalies,” Holmgren said. “Not only for the rest of this year, but moving forward. We’ll just leave it at that for now.”
Of course, the Flyers also have 32-year-old Ilya Bryzgalov signed through 2019-20.
Bryzgalov is 16-14-3 with a .899 save percentage this season.
Mason is 3-6-1 with an identical .899 save percentage.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 18
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 30
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 32
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)