Apr 4, 2013, 8:57 PM EST
Victor Hedman‘s up-and-down 2013 season hit another valley on Thursday as the big defenseman left his team’s game against the Carolina Hurricanes and won’t return, according to Erik Erlendsson of the Tampa Tribune.
While many believe that the 22-year-old is developing into the kind of foundational piece that would justify being the second overall pick of the 2009 NHL Draft, it’s been a challenging campaign.
He’s dealt with some bumps and bruises (particularly from a hit that earned Joffrey Lupul a two-game suspension) and saw coach Guy Boucher get fired this season.
The Bolts quietly have a long shot chance to make the playoffs, but that would become much slimmer if one of their go-to guys ends up on the shelf. The longer term severity of the injury is not yet known.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)