Apr 4, 2013, 8:57 PM EST
Victor Hedman‘s up-and-down 2013 season hit another valley on Thursday as the big defenseman left his team’s game against the Carolina Hurricanes and won’t return, according to Erik Erlendsson of the Tampa Tribune.
While many believe that the 22-year-old is developing into the kind of foundational piece that would justify being the second overall pick of the 2009 NHL Draft, it’s been a challenging campaign.
He’s dealt with some bumps and bruises (particularly from a hit that earned Joffrey Lupul a two-game suspension) and saw coach Guy Boucher get fired this season.
The Bolts quietly have a long shot chance to make the playoffs, but that would become much slimmer if one of their go-to guys ends up on the shelf. The longer term severity of the injury is not yet known.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 11
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 6
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 15
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)