Apr 4, 2013, 8:57 PM EST
Victor Hedman‘s up-and-down 2013 season hit another valley on Thursday as the big defenseman left his team’s game against the Carolina Hurricanes and won’t return, according to Erik Erlendsson of the Tampa Tribune.
While many believe that the 22-year-old is developing into the kind of foundational piece that would justify being the second overall pick of the 2009 NHL Draft, it’s been a challenging campaign.
He’s dealt with some bumps and bruises (particularly from a hit that earned Joffrey Lupul a two-game suspension) and saw coach Guy Boucher get fired this season.
The Bolts quietly have a long shot chance to make the playoffs, but that would become much slimmer if one of their go-to guys ends up on the shelf. The longer term severity of the injury is not yet known.
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 4
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 23
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 6
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 16
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 8
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 27