Apr 4, 2013, 8:57 PM EDT
Victor Hedman‘s up-and-down 2013 season hit another valley on Thursday as the big defenseman left his team’s game against the Carolina Hurricanes and won’t return, according to Erik Erlendsson of the Tampa Tribune.
While many believe that the 22-year-old is developing into the kind of foundational piece that would justify being the second overall pick of the 2009 NHL Draft, it’s been a challenging campaign.
He’s dealt with some bumps and bruises (particularly from a hit that earned Joffrey Lupul a two-game suspension) and saw coach Guy Boucher get fired this season.
The Bolts quietly have a long shot chance to make the playoffs, but that would become much slimmer if one of their go-to guys ends up on the shelf. The longer term severity of the injury is not yet known.
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 21
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 34
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 22
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 22
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 47
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 135
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51