Apr 4, 2013, 8:57 PM EDT
Victor Hedman‘s up-and-down 2013 season hit another valley on Thursday as the big defenseman left his team’s game against the Carolina Hurricanes and won’t return, according to Erik Erlendsson of the Tampa Tribune.
While many believe that the 22-year-old is developing into the kind of foundational piece that would justify being the second overall pick of the 2009 NHL Draft, it’s been a challenging campaign.
He’s dealt with some bumps and bruises (particularly from a hit that earned Joffrey Lupul a two-game suspension) and saw coach Guy Boucher get fired this season.
The Bolts quietly have a long shot chance to make the playoffs, but that would become much slimmer if one of their go-to guys ends up on the shelf. The longer term severity of the injury is not yet known.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)