Apr 4, 2013, 11:37 AM EST
Earlier this week, we passed along word that LA defenseman Willie Mitchell underwent another knee surgery, one that agent Mike Liut said would sideline Mitchell for the remainder of the year but would have him ready for next season.
Now, that latter diagnosis is coming into question.
Yesterday, Kings GM Dean Lombardi said the only certainty is that Mitchell won’t play this year — anything beyond that, the club simply doesn’t know.
“At least we got some finality that he’s not coming back this year,” Lombardi told Mayors Manor. “Now I’m getting some information, and I don’t like speaking to it because I don’t have it all, but I guess it’s safe to say that there would be a legitimate concern now about whether he plays next year.”
Mitchell, 35, is in the first season of a two-year, $7 million deal. He carries an average annual cap hit of $3.5 million and, because he signed as an over-35 player (he turns 36 later this month), the Kings are on the hook for the entirety of his salary.
Furthermore, Mitchell wouldn’t be eligible for a compliance buyout this summer because he’s injured.
It’s a tough blow for a Kings team looking to repeat as Stanley Cup champs. Mitchell was an integral part of LA’s success in 2011-12, scoring a career-high 24 points while shouldering a huge workload in the playoffs, averaging 25:19 TOI per game through 20 contests.
The only King to play more during the Cup run was Drew Doughty.
As such, Lombardi was guarded about trying to predict Mitchell’s future, but made it clear there’s a lot of doubt at hand.
“Let’s just say now that [missing next season] is possible, where I wouldn’t have thought it possible [before],” Lombardi said. “We always thought, okay, well if we don’t get him back this year, this isn’t serious.
“But apparently some other things might’ve shown up. Until I get the whole story, I probably should hold off.”
Dec 12, 2013, 1:30 AM EST
Some kind of pace he’s on.
Dec 12, 2013, 12:54 AM EST
Dropped third straight on Tuesday.
Dec 12, 2013, 12:28 AM EST
Couple of beauties.
Dec 12, 2013, 12:04 AM EST
Taking positives, despite result.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:27 PM EST
Interesting comment to make.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:59 PM EST
Turned for the Flyers in second period, got worse from there.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:26 PM EST
Dec 11, 2013, 9:43 PM EST
That was fast.
Dec 11, 2013, 9:25 PM EST
Dec 11, 2013, 9:07 PM EST
Not a big deal to him, though.
Dec 11, 2013, 8:43 PM EST
Rivalry Night starts with a bang.
Dec 11, 2013, 8:07 PM EST
“I’m sure it’s going to be up there. It’s going to be steep.”
Dec 11, 2013, 7:48 PM EST
Incident occurred during Tuesday’s Tampa Bay-Washington game.
Dec 11, 2013, 7:28 PM EST
“I’m not too worried about someone coming after me.”
Dec 11, 2013, 6:48 PM EST
Physical defenseman was 10th overall pick in his draft class.
Dec 11, 2013, 6:02 PM EST
Incident occurred during Tuesday’s Carolina-Edmonton game.
Dec 11, 2013, 5:20 PM EST
Only five others have done it before.
Dec 11, 2013, 4:45 PM EST
Petr Mrazek called up from the AHL.
Dec 11, 2013, 4:33 PM EST
It wasn’t plywood. Come on, people.
Dec 11, 2013, 3:55 PM EST
Injury is “coming along slower than we anticipated,” according to coach Noel.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)