Apr 4, 2013, 2:10 AM EDT
The Calgary Flames, after a tumultuous trade deadline behind them and a “marching order” from ownership to general manager Jay Feaster to make next year’s playoffs, got off to a good start against the surging Edmonton Oilers on Wednesday.
And then the Flames wilted. After grabbing a 2-0 lead, Calgary surrendered the next eight goals, in an 8-2 loss. Forget the Battle of Alberta. This was a Hockey Beating in Alberta. In fact, that was just the second round.
The Flames lost the first half of this home-and-home with Edmonton, and have been outscored 12-3 in that span.
“I don’t think we could get much worse than that. That’s rock bottom, I think,” Flames forward Matt Stajan told NHL.com.
“We can’t feel sorry for ourselves, though. That’s our effort. That’s what we deserved. We didn’t deserve anything better than that. We left our goalie out to dry. It’s on ourselves to turn it around and come to the rink and expect a lot more of each other.
“It doesn’t matter where we sit in the standings. You’ve got to come to the rink. We’re NHL hockey players. You’ve got to play with a pride and give it your all every single shift. If we do that, we’ll compete every night. Today we didn’t do that.”
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 21
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 90
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (90)