Apr 4, 2013, 2:10 AM EDT
The Calgary Flames, after a tumultuous trade deadline behind them and a “marching order” from ownership to general manager Jay Feaster to make next year’s playoffs, got off to a good start against the surging Edmonton Oilers on Wednesday.
And then the Flames wilted. After grabbing a 2-0 lead, Calgary surrendered the next eight goals, in an 8-2 loss. Forget the Battle of Alberta. This was a Hockey Beating in Alberta. In fact, that was just the second round.
The Flames lost the first half of this home-and-home with Edmonton, and have been outscored 12-3 in that span.
“I don’t think we could get much worse than that. That’s rock bottom, I think,” Flames forward Matt Stajan told NHL.com.
“We can’t feel sorry for ourselves, though. That’s our effort. That’s what we deserved. We didn’t deserve anything better than that. We left our goalie out to dry. It’s on ourselves to turn it around and come to the rink and expect a lot more of each other.
“It doesn’t matter where we sit in the standings. You’ve got to come to the rink. We’re NHL hockey players. You’ve got to play with a pride and give it your all every single shift. If we do that, we’ll compete every night. Today we didn’t do that.”
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 12
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 16
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 17
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (77)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)