Apr 4, 2013, 1:19 PM EDT
Sexual-assault charges have been withdrawn against Flyers prospect Nick Cousins and two other junior players.
From the Sault Star newspaper:
Nick Cousins, 19, of Belleville, Ont., Andrew Fritsch, 19, of Brantford, and Mark Petaccio, 18, of Sicklerville, N.J., who now plays for the Ottawa 67s, were charged with sexual assault last August.
The Crown withdrew the charges in a Sault Ste. Marie courtroom Thursday citing “no reasonable prospect of conviction.”
The charges were withdrawn on the condition that the three men enter into a 12-month peace bond, requiring them to keep the peace, have no communication with the complainant and not to come within 500 metres of her home, work or school.
Cousins, a center with the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds, is one of the Flyers’ top prospects. The 68th overall pick in the 2011 draft had 103 points in 64 games this season.
Fritsch is a sixth-round pick (2011) of the Coyotes.
Petaccio is undrafted.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)