Apr 4, 2013, 1:19 PM EST
Sexual-assault charges have been withdrawn against Flyers prospect Nick Cousins and two other junior players.
From the Sault Star newspaper:
Nick Cousins, 19, of Belleville, Ont., Andrew Fritsch, 19, of Brantford, and Mark Petaccio, 18, of Sicklerville, N.J., who now plays for the Ottawa 67s, were charged with sexual assault last August.
The Crown withdrew the charges in a Sault Ste. Marie courtroom Thursday citing “no reasonable prospect of conviction.”
The charges were withdrawn on the condition that the three men enter into a 12-month peace bond, requiring them to keep the peace, have no communication with the complainant and not to come within 500 metres of her home, work or school.
Cousins, a center with the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds, is one of the Flyers’ top prospects. The 68th overall pick in the 2011 draft had 103 points in 64 games this season.
Fritsch is a sixth-round pick (2011) of the Coyotes.
Petaccio is undrafted.
- Stomach flu makes Lightning’s Johnson a surprise scratch 0
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 5
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 8
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 11
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 6
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 26
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 33
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2