Apr 4, 2013, 3:25 PM EST
Canucks coach Alain Vigneault admitted today that the Edmonton Oilers “took us to school” in Saturday’s 4-0 loss.
It was an interesting way of putting it, given it’s the Oilers who are young and the Canucks who…aren’t.
Specifically, it was Edmonton’s top line of Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Jordan Eberle that taught Vancouver a lesson on the weekend. Hall had a hat trick, and he had it by the 7:53 mark of the first period.
“I think we should give credit where credit is due,” said Vigneault after the game. “They came out with a lot of speed and D’s jumping up in the play and we didn’t have an answer, especially against that top line.”
Last night, the Oilers embarrassed another division rival, beating the Calgary Flames, 8-2.
It was Edmonton’s fifth straight victory. Hall had five points. Nugent-Hopkins had four. Eberle scored twice.
“They have some great young players and we had no answer for it,” Flames coach Bob Hartley said. “The team as a whole gave us a hockey lesson. We couldn’t skate with them.”
Tonight at Rogers Arena, the Canucks will be hoping new addition Derek Roy can help them find some answers versus the Oilers.
If not, well, at least Calgary’s in town next.
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 14
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 7
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 16
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)