Apr 4, 2013, 3:25 PM EDT
Canucks coach Alain Vigneault admitted today that the Edmonton Oilers “took us to school” in Saturday’s 4-0 loss.
It was an interesting way of putting it, given it’s the Oilers who are young and the Canucks who…aren’t.
Specifically, it was Edmonton’s top line of Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Jordan Eberle that taught Vancouver a lesson on the weekend. Hall had a hat trick, and he had it by the 7:53 mark of the first period.
“I think we should give credit where credit is due,” said Vigneault after the game. “They came out with a lot of speed and D’s jumping up in the play and we didn’t have an answer, especially against that top line.”
Last night, the Oilers embarrassed another division rival, beating the Calgary Flames, 8-2.
It was Edmonton’s fifth straight victory. Hall had five points. Nugent-Hopkins had four. Eberle scored twice.
“They have some great young players and we had no answer for it,” Flames coach Bob Hartley said. “The team as a whole gave us a hockey lesson. We couldn’t skate with them.”
Tonight at Rogers Arena, the Canucks will be hoping new addition Derek Roy can help them find some answers versus the Oilers.
If not, well, at least Calgary’s in town next.
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 16
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 22
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 33
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)