Apr 4, 2013, 3:25 PM EDT
Canucks coach Alain Vigneault admitted today that the Edmonton Oilers “took us to school” in Saturday’s 4-0 loss.
It was an interesting way of putting it, given it’s the Oilers who are young and the Canucks who…aren’t.
Specifically, it was Edmonton’s top line of Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Jordan Eberle that taught Vancouver a lesson on the weekend. Hall had a hat trick, and he had it by the 7:53 mark of the first period.
“I think we should give credit where credit is due,” said Vigneault after the game. “They came out with a lot of speed and D’s jumping up in the play and we didn’t have an answer, especially against that top line.”
Last night, the Oilers embarrassed another division rival, beating the Calgary Flames, 8-2.
It was Edmonton’s fifth straight victory. Hall had five points. Nugent-Hopkins had four. Eberle scored twice.
“They have some great young players and we had no answer for it,” Flames coach Bob Hartley said. “The team as a whole gave us a hockey lesson. We couldn’t skate with them.”
Tonight at Rogers Arena, the Canucks will be hoping new addition Derek Roy can help them find some answers versus the Oilers.
If not, well, at least Calgary’s in town next.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Without Shea Weber, Predators can’t contain Hawks in Game 3 14
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 19
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 5
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 13
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 88
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 70
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 167
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (167)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (88)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)