Apr 4, 2013, 3:25 PM EDT
Canucks coach Alain Vigneault admitted today that the Edmonton Oilers “took us to school” in Saturday’s 4-0 loss.
It was an interesting way of putting it, given it’s the Oilers who are young and the Canucks who…aren’t.
Specifically, it was Edmonton’s top line of Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Jordan Eberle that taught Vancouver a lesson on the weekend. Hall had a hat trick, and he had it by the 7:53 mark of the first period.
“I think we should give credit where credit is due,” said Vigneault after the game. “They came out with a lot of speed and D’s jumping up in the play and we didn’t have an answer, especially against that top line.”
Last night, the Oilers embarrassed another division rival, beating the Calgary Flames, 8-2.
It was Edmonton’s fifth straight victory. Hall had five points. Nugent-Hopkins had four. Eberle scored twice.
“They have some great young players and we had no answer for it,” Flames coach Bob Hartley said. “The team as a whole gave us a hockey lesson. We couldn’t skate with them.”
Tonight at Rogers Arena, the Canucks will be hoping new addition Derek Roy can help them find some answers versus the Oilers.
If not, well, at least Calgary’s in town next.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 14
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 22
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 14
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)