Apr 4, 2013, 3:25 PM EDT
Canucks coach Alain Vigneault admitted today that the Edmonton Oilers “took us to school” in Saturday’s 4-0 loss.
It was an interesting way of putting it, given it’s the Oilers who are young and the Canucks who…aren’t.
Specifically, it was Edmonton’s top line of Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Jordan Eberle that taught Vancouver a lesson on the weekend. Hall had a hat trick, and he had it by the 7:53 mark of the first period.
“I think we should give credit where credit is due,” said Vigneault after the game. “They came out with a lot of speed and D’s jumping up in the play and we didn’t have an answer, especially against that top line.”
Last night, the Oilers embarrassed another division rival, beating the Calgary Flames, 8-2.
It was Edmonton’s fifth straight victory. Hall had five points. Nugent-Hopkins had four. Eberle scored twice.
“They have some great young players and we had no answer for it,” Flames coach Bob Hartley said. “The team as a whole gave us a hockey lesson. We couldn’t skate with them.”
Tonight at Rogers Arena, the Canucks will be hoping new addition Derek Roy can help them find some answers versus the Oilers.
If not, well, at least Calgary’s in town next.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 43
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)