Apr 4, 2013, 9:18 AM EDT
You could say the Buffalo Sabres did really well in the return they got for team captain Jason Pominville. Two top prospects as well as two high draft picks makes for a pretty good haul for a team that was clearly in fire sale mode.
Lindy Ruff was sent packing this season and rightfully so. He should have been fired last year, when it became evident his players muted his message. Regier should have been kicked to the curb with him but instead received a contract extension. He sounded like a man Wednesday who would be in charge of the rebuilding project.
Just so we’re straight, the same man who made the mess is now in charge of cleaning up the mess and, if he sticks around, will have an opportunity to make another mess. Seriously, that’s messed up.
Tell us how you really feel, Bucky.
Ruff and Regier got their start in Buffalo at about the same time and given what’s happened with the Sabres, sending Regier out with Ruff might’ve made sense. Maybe owner Terry Pegula is taking a page out of Columbus’ book and letting Regier finish things up before sending him packing.
Following Columbus’ example? Yeah, things are a little different these days.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 14
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 12
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 28
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)