Apr 4, 2013, 9:18 AM EDT
You could say the Buffalo Sabres did really well in the return they got for team captain Jason Pominville. Two top prospects as well as two high draft picks makes for a pretty good haul for a team that was clearly in fire sale mode.
Lindy Ruff was sent packing this season and rightfully so. He should have been fired last year, when it became evident his players muted his message. Regier should have been kicked to the curb with him but instead received a contract extension. He sounded like a man Wednesday who would be in charge of the rebuilding project.
Just so we’re straight, the same man who made the mess is now in charge of cleaning up the mess and, if he sticks around, will have an opportunity to make another mess. Seriously, that’s messed up.
Tell us how you really feel, Bucky.
Ruff and Regier got their start in Buffalo at about the same time and given what’s happened with the Sabres, sending Regier out with Ruff might’ve made sense. Maybe owner Terry Pegula is taking a page out of Columbus’ book and letting Regier finish things up before sending him packing.
Following Columbus’ example? Yeah, things are a little different these days.
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 3
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 39
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 17
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 12
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 60
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 24
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 64
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1