Apr 4, 2013, 9:18 AM EDT
You could say the Buffalo Sabres did really well in the return they got for team captain Jason Pominville. Two top prospects as well as two high draft picks makes for a pretty good haul for a team that was clearly in fire sale mode.
Lindy Ruff was sent packing this season and rightfully so. He should have been fired last year, when it became evident his players muted his message. Regier should have been kicked to the curb with him but instead received a contract extension. He sounded like a man Wednesday who would be in charge of the rebuilding project.
Just so we’re straight, the same man who made the mess is now in charge of cleaning up the mess and, if he sticks around, will have an opportunity to make another mess. Seriously, that’s messed up.
Tell us how you really feel, Bucky.
Ruff and Regier got their start in Buffalo at about the same time and given what’s happened with the Sabres, sending Regier out with Ruff might’ve made sense. Maybe owner Terry Pegula is taking a page out of Columbus’ book and letting Regier finish things up before sending him packing.
Following Columbus’ example? Yeah, things are a little different these days.
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 20
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 5
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17