Apr 4, 2013, 9:33 PM EST
The knock against the Tampa Bay Lightning trading for Ben Bishop* was that he’s only put up nice numbers in a small sample size. That same criticism can be lobbed at his great first game on Thursday night, but don’t blame the Bolts for feeling at least a little optimistic.
Bishop stopped all 45 shots as Tampa Bay dominated the Carolina Hurricanes 5-0. That 45-for-45 performance matches a franchise record for saves in a shutout, according to Damian Cristodero of the Tampa Bay Times.
This ties the two Southeast Division teams with identical 16-18-2 records for 34 points in 36 games.
Does that signal that the Lightning might be able to make an improbable run to a postseason birth or that they merely dragged the Hurricanes closer to the cellar with them? The answer’s unclear, but at least the Lightning can feel like they landed the potential goalie of the future.
(For at least one night.)
* Beyond giving up a promising young player in Cory Conacher, of course.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 16
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)