Apr 4, 2013, 4:12 PM EDT
What’s old is new again for the Jets.
That’s the story as Winnipeg prepares to take on the Canadiens tonight in Montreal, where head coach Claude Noel will skate Dustin Byfuglien as a forward.
“He’s a hard guy to move in front of the net,” Noel told TSN. “He’s a big man. He makes the goalie work, that’s for certain. Those are areas we’d like him to occupy.”
Byfuglien, 28, broke into the NHL as a defenseman with the Blackhawks, only to transition into an effective power forward during his time in Chicago.
At no time was he more dynamic than during the 2010 Stanley Cup run, tying for the team lead with 11 goals, five coming on the power play.
Byfuglien moved back to defense upon being traded to Atlanta and has played the position exclusively over the last few seasons. (He made the 2011 NHL All-Star game as a blueliner).
But, during Tuesday’s lacklustre 5-2 loss to the Islanders, Noel shook things up by moving Byfuglien up front during the third period to skate with Brian Little and Jets captain Andrew Ladd.
Noel liked what he saw, so he’s sticking with it for Thursday, noting that the move isn’t just about Big Buff standing in front of the net.
“He’s equally as good in the corner when he has the puck,” Noel explained. “He protects it well and is a hard guy to control in the corner. He can do some things.
“He’s got a fairly high skill level as well, so he can give us some dimensions in different areas.”
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)