Apr 3, 2013, 9:32 PM EDT
Valtteri Filppula has been struggling on the ice lately, and according to what he told the Macob Daily News’ Chuck Pleiness, he’s not getting any closer to a contract extension with the Detroit Red Wings, either.
“There’s nothing going on right now,” Filppula said.
Pleiness reports that Filppula is looking for a deal that would pay him $5 million per season, which would constitute a $2 million annual raise from his soon-to-expire deal.
It’s been a rough season for the 29-year-old center as he suffered a knee sprain during the lockout and has had up-and-down production, including his current seven-game pointless streak.
Could contract worries be a factor? Filppula didn’t use it as a crutch, but he did admit that it’s on his mind.
“You automatically think about it, but I’ve been trying to put little thought into it because it’s not going to do me any good,” Filppula said. “We’ll see what happens, but definitely interesting times. It’s been a great place to be, great team. Obviously you always want to be on a team like that.”
After a silent trade deadline, the Red Wings have that much more reason to keep him around.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 3
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 10
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)