Apr 3, 2013, 9:32 PM EDT
Valtteri Filppula has been struggling on the ice lately, and according to what he told the Macob Daily News’ Chuck Pleiness, he’s not getting any closer to a contract extension with the Detroit Red Wings, either.
“There’s nothing going on right now,” Filppula said.
Pleiness reports that Filppula is looking for a deal that would pay him $5 million per season, which would constitute a $2 million annual raise from his soon-to-expire deal.
It’s been a rough season for the 29-year-old center as he suffered a knee sprain during the lockout and has had up-and-down production, including his current seven-game pointless streak.
Could contract worries be a factor? Filppula didn’t use it as a crutch, but he did admit that it’s on his mind.
“You automatically think about it, but I’ve been trying to put little thought into it because it’s not going to do me any good,” Filppula said. “We’ll see what happens, but definitely interesting times. It’s been a great place to be, great team. Obviously you always want to be on a team like that.”
After a silent trade deadline, the Red Wings have that much more reason to keep him around.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 1
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 2
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 24
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)