Apr 3, 2013, 9:32 PM EDT
Valtteri Filppula has been struggling on the ice lately, and according to what he told the Macob Daily News’ Chuck Pleiness, he’s not getting any closer to a contract extension with the Detroit Red Wings, either.
“There’s nothing going on right now,” Filppula said.
Pleiness reports that Filppula is looking for a deal that would pay him $5 million per season, which would constitute a $2 million annual raise from his soon-to-expire deal.
It’s been a rough season for the 29-year-old center as he suffered a knee sprain during the lockout and has had up-and-down production, including his current seven-game pointless streak.
Could contract worries be a factor? Filppula didn’t use it as a crutch, but he did admit that it’s on his mind.
“You automatically think about it, but I’ve been trying to put little thought into it because it’s not going to do me any good,” Filppula said. “We’ll see what happens, but definitely interesting times. It’s been a great place to be, great team. Obviously you always want to be on a team like that.”
After a silent trade deadline, the Red Wings have that much more reason to keep him around.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 9
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 3
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)