Apr 3, 2013, 9:32 PM EDT
Valtteri Filppula has been struggling on the ice lately, and according to what he told the Macob Daily News’ Chuck Pleiness, he’s not getting any closer to a contract extension with the Detroit Red Wings, either.
“There’s nothing going on right now,” Filppula said.
Pleiness reports that Filppula is looking for a deal that would pay him $5 million per season, which would constitute a $2 million annual raise from his soon-to-expire deal.
It’s been a rough season for the 29-year-old center as he suffered a knee sprain during the lockout and has had up-and-down production, including his current seven-game pointless streak.
Could contract worries be a factor? Filppula didn’t use it as a crutch, but he did admit that it’s on his mind.
“You automatically think about it, but I’ve been trying to put little thought into it because it’s not going to do me any good,” Filppula said. “We’ll see what happens, but definitely interesting times. It’s been a great place to be, great team. Obviously you always want to be on a team like that.”
After a silent trade deadline, the Red Wings have that much more reason to keep him around.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 20
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 91
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (91)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)