Valtteri Filppula hasn’t made progress on extension with Red Wings

Apr 3, 2013, 9:32 PM EDT

valtterifilppulavsrinnegetty Getty Images

Valtteri Filppula has been struggling on the ice lately, and according to what he told the Macob Daily News’ Chuck Pleiness, he’s not getting any closer to a contract extension with the Detroit Red Wings, either.

“There’s nothing going on right now,” Filppula said.

Pleiness reports that Filppula is looking for a deal that would pay him $5 million per season, which would constitute a $2 million annual raise from his soon-to-expire deal.

It’s been a rough season for the 29-year-old center as he suffered a knee sprain during the lockout and has had up-and-down production, including his current seven-game pointless streak.

Could contract worries be a factor? Filppula didn’t use it as a crutch, but he did admit that it’s on his mind.

“You automatically think about it, but I’ve been trying to put little thought into it because it’s not going to do me any good,” Filppula said. “We’ll see what happens, but definitely interesting times. It’s been a great place to be, great team. Obviously you always want to be on a team like that.”

After a silent trade deadline, the Red Wings have that much more reason to keep him around.

1. 50milessouthofdetroit - Apr 3, 2013 at 9:42 PM

29 games played. 6 goals, 7 assists and a -4 rating = $5M? You’ve got to be kidding me

2. bensawesomeness - Apr 3, 2013 at 9:44 PM

HEY MAYBE WE SHOULD TRADE THE GUY!

I’m still fuming over the lack of Red Wings trades today

• polegojim - Apr 3, 2013 at 10:01 PM

I actually agree with you. Val is one of the guys everyone thought would ‘Step up’… not much at all.

• polegojim - Apr 3, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Wow… that should have been posted under 50’s post…

But… I have similar feelings Ben… but also believe the Red Wings are poised for a much better team with the youth they have and didn’t need to give away the farm this year. After thinking it through, I might prefer to take advantage of the draft instead of bringing a guy on who may not even be here next year, and forfeit draft picks for it.

• clefty1 - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:45 AM

So Holland is supposed to make a trade to appease you? An overpaid player such as Bouwmeester or a rental such as Jagr is not going to push the Wings over the top and I would not part with young players such as Nyquist, Tatar, Andersson, Dekeyser or Lashoff …After 2 decades of trading draft picks away the Wings have to hang onto their draft picks and develop some players within their system…If you are a GM are you going to trade for a guy that is a UFA at the end of the season? I think now….

• clefty1 - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I should of typed, I think not…

3. datsyukdominates - Apr 3, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Mentally weak, lacks grit. Should’ve traded him straight up for Clowe…

I agree about the Wings lack of activity. Seems obvious the overrated Ken Holland has given up on the season.

4. letthecoldcome - Apr 3, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Val for Clowe………..? Riiiiiiiiight.

5. fusionix7 - Apr 3, 2013 at 11:11 PM

The Wings have been waiting for Filppula to take the next step for the last 5 years, ain’t gonna happen. Should have traded him for something. He’s not even worth his current contract. Andersson is better defensively and on the faceoff. He has shown offensive potential on the third line and can easily take over Filppula’s spot in the lineup.

6. datsyukdominates - Apr 3, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Yes. Vale for Clowe. At least Clowe provides SOMETHING every game, even if it isn’t scoring. Filppula disappears most of the time…

7. 19wasthebest - Apr 3, 2013 at 11:32 PM

They should have traded Val & Franzen. They could have and should have went after Regeir and or Clowe to add some toughness. I don’t really like Torres but even he would add some much needed toughness that has been missing since 2008 cup with Drake. Any one of the three I named would have helped this team. I think one of them and Tootoo on same line would add a lot in the toughness department. I am not talking about fight either.(although I would be happy to see more)

• clefty1 - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:39 AM

So if you are another GM are you looking to trade for a UFA in Filppula or take on Franzen’s contract??? Get real….

8. clefty1 - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:41 AM

If 5 million is what Filppula is looking for it is time to cut ties with him and I am sure no other team will pay him that amount of money either..

Top 10 NHL Player Searches