Apr 3, 2013, 1:04 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers are officially buyers at the trade deadline.
Smithson is a defensive forward, as evidenced by his modest offensive stat line (two goals and three assists in 35 games), along with the 1:57 he plays per game on the penalty kill.
A pending unrestricted free agent, Smithson has won 54.8 percent of the 363 faceoffs he’s taken this season.
Oh, and there’s also this…
Newest Oiler Jerred Smithson just found out he was traded while on way to have his wife induced w their first child! #TradeTracker
— Josh Rimer (@JoshRimerHockey) April 3, 2013
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)