Apr 3, 2013, 1:04 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers are officially buyers at the trade deadline.
Smithson is a defensive forward, as evidenced by his modest offensive stat line (two goals and three assists in 35 games), along with the 1:57 he plays per game on the penalty kill.
A pending unrestricted free agent, Smithson has won 54.8 percent of the 363 faceoffs he’s taken this season.
Oh, and there’s also this…
Newest Oiler Jerred Smithson just found out he was traded while on way to have his wife induced w their first child! #TradeTracker
— Josh Rimer (@JoshRimerHockey) April 3, 2013
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)