Apr 3, 2013, 1:04 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers are officially buyers at the trade deadline.
Smithson is a defensive forward, as evidenced by his modest offensive stat line (two goals and three assists in 35 games), along with the 1:57 he plays per game on the penalty kill.
A pending unrestricted free agent, Smithson has won 54.8 percent of the 363 faceoffs he’s taken this season.
Oh, and there’s also this…
Newest Oiler Jerred Smithson just found out he was traded while on way to have his wife induced w their first child! #TradeTracker
— Josh Rimer (@JoshRimerHockey) April 3, 2013
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 10
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 4
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 33
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)