Apr 3, 2013, 3:22 PM EST
The Toronto Maple Leafs added some defensive depth right before the trade deadline on Wednesday, picking up Colorado defenseman Ryan O’Byrne.
The move, first reported by TSN’s Darren Dreger, will cost the Leafs a fourth-round pick at the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.
O’Byrne, 28, is in the final year of a two-year, $3.6 million deal signed with Colorado in 2011.
The steady rearguard has appeared in 34 games for the Avs this year, scoring 1G-3A-4PTS while averaging 18:51 TOI per contest.
A big body — he stands 6-foot-5, 230 pounds — O’Byrne should provide another physical presence in the Leafs lineup, mostly in a shutdown/physical role.
According to Rob Longley of the Toronto Sun, the O’Byrne acquisition will also give Toronto some much-needed playoff experience. His 19 postseason contests makes him the Leafs’ fifth-most experienced playoff performer.
Dec 20, 2013, 9:45 AM EST
Impressing a legend is lofty praise.
Dec 20, 2013, 9:36 AM EST
He won the Stanley Cup and an Olympic bronze medal.
Dec 20, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
Sharks rookie Tomas Hertl was injured on the play.
Dec 20, 2013, 8:00 AM EST
That and the rest of the links to start your day.
Dec 20, 2013, 1:19 AM EST
Patrick Marleau spoiled it.
Dec 19, 2013, 11:30 PM EST
The Kings captain was suspended in April.
Dec 19, 2013, 11:12 PM EST
Not slacking off following that contract extension.
Dec 19, 2013, 11:01 PM EST
Toronto won 2-1 (SO).
Dec 19, 2013, 10:48 PM EST
His Goal of the Year entry …
Dec 19, 2013, 10:42 PM EST
They beat Calgary 3-2 in OT.
Dec 19, 2013, 10:16 PM EST
Mike Yeo on Minnesota: “We stunk.”
Dec 19, 2013, 10:00 PM EST
Maybe not an ideal trade-off.
Dec 19, 2013, 9:47 PM EST
The Blue Jackets with a rare blown third period lead.
Dec 19, 2013, 9:17 PM EST
Tough break for Z-Bad.
Dec 19, 2013, 8:50 PM EST
He might have suffered it blocking a shot.
Dec 19, 2013, 8:26 PM EST
It would be a sixth-rounder in 2014.
Dec 19, 2013, 7:35 PM EST
Dec 19, 2013, 7:17 PM EST
Phoenix is still pretty banged up, though.
Dec 19, 2013, 6:46 PM EST
George McPhee’s also glad Brayden Schenn isn’t injured.
Dec 19, 2013, 6:17 PM EST
He drew criticism for hitting Brayden Schenn Tuesday.
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 45
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 29
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 6
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 21
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 54
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 53
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 60
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 12
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 17
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)