Apr 3, 2013, 5:00 AM EDT
The Calgary Flames may not be done dealing, but a chaotic week for the southern Alberta franchise will eventually come to an end when the clock strikes 3 p.m. ET.
The question is: will goaltender Miikka Kiprusoff still be a member of the Calgary Flames when the figurative trade buzzer sounds?
For his part, Kiprusoff isn’t saying much of anything. Even after reports surfaced that the Toronto Maple Leafs received permission to speak directly to the 36-year-old netminder.
“That’s how it is,” said Kiprusoff, as per the Calgary Herald. “Every year, the same thing around some players. Now, more than ever, it’s around me this year. But as a player, it is what it is.
“Well, like I said a few days ago, I’m here getting ready for the next game…I’m not talking about any trade stuff or any rumours.”
Well, we’ll discuss rumours.
Should Kiprusoff get dealt, Toronto seems to be the likeliest choice. But then again, Roberto Luongo of the Vancouver Canucks has also been mentioned as a fit in Toronto, a goalie that could perhaps not only get them into the playoffs but could also win the Leafs a round or two.
Rumors and speculation about a Luongo trade to the Leafs have been circulating for almost an entire year.
Here’s a little bit of what Toronto Star sports columnist Damien Cox had to say about the potential of Kiprusoff being shipped to Toronto:
Then there’s Miikka Kiprusoff, one of the first to sign those backsliding contracts that went from a big salary to a small one. According to his former coach Mike Keenan, Kiprusoff never intended to play the final year next season for a $1.5 million salary, and a premature baby born to him and his wife in recent weeks left him even more anchored to Calgary.
But maybe not. Maybe, given the right inducements, the 36-year-old Kiprusoff will consider a late-season trade to the Leafs, and on Monday afternoon, the Leafs received permission from the Flames to speak directly to the Finnish netminder and his Ottawa-based agent, Larry Kelly.
- Five big games to watch this weekend 3
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 28
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 34
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 52
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)