Apr 3, 2013, 6:19 PM EDT
While the Dallas Stars and Calgary Flames loaded up on prospects and picks by moving veterans, the Buffalo Sabres stayed pretty quiet aside from the significant exception of the Jason Pominville trade.
Going through a rebuild isn’t the easiest thing for many organizations – both the Stars and Flames were criticized for waiting too long in some circles – and it’s clear Sabres GM Darcy Regier is unsettled by the idea.
In fact, he didn’t even want to say the world “rebuild” while discussing the team’s direction with the Buffalo Times-Herald’s Bill Hoppe.
“I’m not going to use the ‘R’ word, but it allows us to draft and develop players and build the organization,” Regier said.
The embattled GM told the Buffalo News that merely making the postseason isn’t the goal.
“The preference is to build for a Stanley Cup rather than a playoff spot,” Regier said. “It’s no fun being where we are. There’s no enjoyment, but there is an opportunity.”
Top Sabres scorer Thomas Vanek said he’s on board with a short rebuild but wouldn’t want to stick around for much more misery. It looks like Regier is aiming for a brisk reboot, too.
“You want to make the painful period as short as possible,” said Regier. “It’s really difficult to put an exact timeline on it. It’s difficult standing here to say it’s going to be a year or two.”
Obviously, that’s easier said than done.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 14
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 50
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 38
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)