Apr 3, 2013, 6:19 PM EDT
While the Dallas Stars and Calgary Flames loaded up on prospects and picks by moving veterans, the Buffalo Sabres stayed pretty quiet aside from the significant exception of the Jason Pominville trade.
Going through a rebuild isn’t the easiest thing for many organizations – both the Stars and Flames were criticized for waiting too long in some circles – and it’s clear Sabres GM Darcy Regier is unsettled by the idea.
In fact, he didn’t even want to say the world “rebuild” while discussing the team’s direction with the Buffalo Times-Herald’s Bill Hoppe.
“I’m not going to use the ‘R’ word, but it allows us to draft and develop players and build the organization,” Regier said.
The embattled GM told the Buffalo News that merely making the postseason isn’t the goal.
“The preference is to build for a Stanley Cup rather than a playoff spot,” Regier said. “It’s no fun being where we are. There’s no enjoyment, but there is an opportunity.”
Top Sabres scorer Thomas Vanek said he’s on board with a short rebuild but wouldn’t want to stick around for much more misery. It looks like Regier is aiming for a brisk reboot, too.
“You want to make the painful period as short as possible,” said Regier. “It’s really difficult to put an exact timeline on it. It’s difficult standing here to say it’s going to be a year or two.”
Obviously, that’s easier said than done.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 0
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)