Apr 3, 2013, 6:19 PM EDT
While the Dallas Stars and Calgary Flames loaded up on prospects and picks by moving veterans, the Buffalo Sabres stayed pretty quiet aside from the significant exception of the Jason Pominville trade.
Going through a rebuild isn’t the easiest thing for many organizations – both the Stars and Flames were criticized for waiting too long in some circles – and it’s clear Sabres GM Darcy Regier is unsettled by the idea.
In fact, he didn’t even want to say the world “rebuild” while discussing the team’s direction with the Buffalo Times-Herald’s Bill Hoppe.
“I’m not going to use the ‘R’ word, but it allows us to draft and develop players and build the organization,” Regier said.
The embattled GM told the Buffalo News that merely making the postseason isn’t the goal.
“The preference is to build for a Stanley Cup rather than a playoff spot,” Regier said. “It’s no fun being where we are. There’s no enjoyment, but there is an opportunity.”
Top Sabres scorer Thomas Vanek said he’s on board with a short rebuild but wouldn’t want to stick around for much more misery. It looks like Regier is aiming for a brisk reboot, too.
“You want to make the painful period as short as possible,” said Regier. “It’s really difficult to put an exact timeline on it. It’s difficult standing here to say it’s going to be a year or two.”
Obviously, that’s easier said than done.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)