Apr 3, 2013, 8:04 AM EDT
Throughout the season, NBCSN will feature the NHL’s fiercest rivalries on Wednesday nights. Tonight the Pittsburgh Penguins will head to Madison Square Garden for a match against the New York Rangers at 7:30 p.m. ET.
The Pittsburgh Penguins streak might be over, but there’s no doubt that they’re still a dangerous team and that the Rangers desperately need this victory.
The Rangers are two points behind the seventh and eighth place New Jersey Devils and New York Islanders, although the Rangers have played in less games than each of those clubs. The Rangers managed to defeat the Winnipeg Jets, but suffered back-to-back shutout losses prior to that.
To make matters worse for the Rangers, this is one of the few home games remaining in their schedule. Including tonight’s contest, eight of their final 13 games will be played on the road, where they’re 6-9-1 so far this campaign.
There are plenty of areas where the Rangers have lagged behind the Penguins this season, but perhaps the biggest gap has just been simply their respective offenses. On paper the Rangers shouldn’t have that big an issue offensively given the presence of Rick Nash, Marian Gaborik, and Brad Richards. In practice though, the Rangers rank dead last in the NHL in goals per game while Pittsburgh leads the pack.
The Rangers will likely counter with goaltender Henrik Lundqvist, who has been dominant this season — except when Pittsburgh is involved. Against the Penguins, Lundqvist has an ugly 4.02 GAA and .865 save percentage in three defeats this season.
Clowe, like the team he joined, has struggled to find the back of the net this season, but he does have five assists in his last eight games. The change of scenery might also be what he needs to end his 34-game (including playoffs) goal-scoring drought.
When the trade deadline passes this afternoon, no major NHL events will stand between us and the end of the regular season. It will be the final push and while the Penguins don’t have a ton left to fight for before the start of the postseason, the Rangers certainly have a ton on the line.
Probable goaltenders: NYR – Lundqvist (15-13-2, 2.19 GAA, .922 SV%) | PIT – Marc-Andre Fleury (18-5-0, 2.18 GAA, .920 SV%)
Top scorers: NYR – Nash (13-17-30, 31 GP) | PIT – Crosby (15-41-56, 36 GP)
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 17
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)