Apr 3, 2013, 9:50 PM EST
According to Lavoie, the extension is for two years at $2 million.
Irwin, 25, is in his first full year with the Sharks. He five goals and nine points in 26 games and was left untouched at the trade deadline.
He was in a one-year contract that paid him $650,000 at the NHL level. He was slated to become an unrestricted free agent this summer.
According to Kevin Kurz of CSN Bay Area, the contract will pay Irwin $900,000 in the first year and $1.1 million in the second year.
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 6
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 6
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 73
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)