Apr 3, 2013, 9:50 PM EDT
According to Lavoie, the extension is for two years at $2 million.
Irwin, 25, is in his first full year with the Sharks. He five goals and nine points in 26 games and was left untouched at the trade deadline.
He was in a one-year contract that paid him $650,000 at the NHL level. He was slated to become an unrestricted free agent this summer.
According to Kevin Kurz of CSN Bay Area, the contract will pay Irwin $900,000 in the first year and $1.1 million in the second year.
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 16
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 38
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 33
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21