Apr 3, 2013, 1:33 PM EDT
Could the Minnesota Wild be making a big deadline push?
That appears to be the case, according to Mike Russo of the Minnesota Star-Tribune, who reports the Wild have contacted Buffalo about captain Jason Pominville.
From the Star-Tribune:
The Wild is making calls and I do hear it is one of many teams that has been talking to Buffalo the past few days about captain Jason Pominville.
I know the Wild has scouted Buffalo recently, too.
Russo also notes that of the eight teams Pominville said he would not accept a trade to, Minnesota is not one of them.
So, technically, the Wild are in play.
What remains to be seen, however, is if the Wild are willing to 1) part with assets and 2) take on Pominville’s deal. The 30-year-old forward has this and next season left on his five-year, $26.5 million contract, and carries an annual cap hit of $5.3 million.
According to Capgeek, the Wild have 16 players under contract for $51 million next season — with the cap ceiling dropping to $64.3 million — but still have some big decisions to make regarding pending UFAs like Niklas Backstrom, Matt Cullen and Pierre-Marc Bouchard.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 13
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 42
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 33
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)