Apr 3, 2013, 11:42 AM EST
Despite a dreadful .868 save percentage, Kiprusoff had been targeted by Toronto as a potential veteran backup for James Reimer.
Kiprusoff is 36 years old and is signed through next season. However, his salary falls to just $1.5 million in the final year of his six-year, $35 million contract.
(And if you ask Mike Keenan, retirement by the end of this season was the plan all along; the final year of the contract was just tacked on to lower the cap hit. We wonder if the league might look into that if Kiprusoff does indeed call it a career.)
Still, expect to hear more chatter about Vancouver’s Roberto Luongo going to Toronto, even though Luongo’s contract is a totally different animal.
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 39
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 7
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)