Apr 3, 2013, 12:13 AM EDT
Carolina Hurricanes defenseman Joni Pitkanen is expected to be out three months, according to Darren Dreger of TSN, after crashing feet-first at a high speed into the end boards on an icing play with Capitals forward Troy Brouwer.
The incident occurred late in the second period of Tuesday’s game between the Hurricanes and Capitals.
Pitkanen had to be stretchered off the ice.
As per the Raleigh News & Observer, Hurricanes head coach Kirk Muller was not sure about the severity of the injury, but that Pitkanen was treated at the PNC Arena.
This incident is sure to fuel the conversation about hybrid icing, or no-touch icing.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 6
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 19
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 10
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 36
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)