Apr 3, 2013, 12:13 AM EDT
Carolina Hurricanes defenseman Joni Pitkanen is expected to be out three months, according to Darren Dreger of TSN, after crashing feet-first at a high speed into the end boards on an icing play with Capitals forward Troy Brouwer.
The incident occurred late in the second period of Tuesday’s game between the Hurricanes and Capitals.
Pitkanen had to be stretchered off the ice.
As per the Raleigh News & Observer, Hurricanes head coach Kirk Muller was not sure about the severity of the injury, but that Pitkanen was treated at the PNC Arena.
This incident is sure to fuel the conversation about hybrid icing, or no-touch icing.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)