Apr 3, 2013, 12:13 AM EDT
Carolina Hurricanes defenseman Joni Pitkanen is expected to be out three months, according to Darren Dreger of TSN, after crashing feet-first at a high speed into the end boards on an icing play with Capitals forward Troy Brouwer.
The incident occurred late in the second period of Tuesday’s game between the Hurricanes and Capitals.
Pitkanen had to be stretchered off the ice.
As per the Raleigh News & Observer, Hurricanes head coach Kirk Muller was not sure about the severity of the injury, but that Pitkanen was treated at the PNC Arena.
This incident is sure to fuel the conversation about hybrid icing, or no-touch icing.
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 65
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)