Apr 3, 2013, 12:13 AM EDT
Carolina Hurricanes defenseman Joni Pitkanen is expected to be out three months, according to Darren Dreger of TSN, after crashing feet-first at a high speed into the end boards on an icing play with Capitals forward Troy Brouwer.
The incident occurred late in the second period of Tuesday’s game between the Hurricanes and Capitals.
Pitkanen had to be stretchered off the ice.
As per the Raleigh News & Observer, Hurricanes head coach Kirk Muller was not sure about the severity of the injury, but that Pitkanen was treated at the PNC Arena.
This incident is sure to fuel the conversation about hybrid icing, or no-touch icing.
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 10
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 28
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)