Apr 3, 2013, 12:13 AM EST
Carolina Hurricanes defenseman Joni Pitkanen is expected to be out three months, according to Darren Dreger of TSN, after crashing feet-first at a high speed into the end boards on an icing play with Capitals forward Troy Brouwer.
The incident occurred late in the second period of Tuesday’s game between the Hurricanes and Capitals.
Pitkanen had to be stretchered off the ice.
As per the Raleigh News & Observer, Hurricanes head coach Kirk Muller was not sure about the severity of the injury, but that Pitkanen was treated at the PNC Arena.
This incident is sure to fuel the conversation about hybrid icing, or no-touch icing.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 0
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 75
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (80)