Apr 3, 2013, 9:24 AM EST
It’s a good thing the St. Louis Blues didn’t get rid of goaltender Brian Elliott.
In other words, Halak will miss the vast majority of what’s left of the 2013 campaign, if he can even play at all before the playoffs. Consequently, if the Blues are going to make it past the regular season, it will be on the strength of Elliott and Jake Allen.
Allen has already played in 12 games with the Blues and for a time seemed to have passed Elliott on the depth charts. However, before Halak’s injury, the Blues decided to return Allen to the minors and finish out the season with Elliott and Halak.
Those trades sent a message that the Blues fully intend to make a run this season, but with a 18-14-2 record, their spot in the playoffs is far from guaranteed.
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 8
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 75
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2