Apr 3, 2013, 9:24 AM EDT
It’s a good thing the St. Louis Blues didn’t get rid of goaltender Brian Elliott.
In other words, Halak will miss the vast majority of what’s left of the 2013 campaign, if he can even play at all before the playoffs. Consequently, if the Blues are going to make it past the regular season, it will be on the strength of Elliott and Jake Allen.
Allen has already played in 12 games with the Blues and for a time seemed to have passed Elliott on the depth charts. However, before Halak’s injury, the Blues decided to return Allen to the minors and finish out the season with Elliott and Halak.
Those trades sent a message that the Blues fully intend to make a run this season, but with a 18-14-2 record, their spot in the playoffs is far from guaranteed.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 53
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (54)