Apr 3, 2013, 6:35 PM EDT
It’s not exactly a secret that Ryan Suter left the Nashville Predators on bad terms, at least with GM David Poile.* Martin Erat could be another long-term guy who might hear some boos whenever he’s back in town.
While he fetched an impressive bounty in the form of first-rounder Filip Forsberg, some could still have issues with the fact that Erat requested a trade. Poile didn’t deny that to Fox Sports South’s John Manasso.
“I can’t sugarcoat it, it’s really disappointing,” Poile said.
Yet while Suter left a crater behind on the team’s defense, the 31-year-old Erat’s trade request might have opened the door for Nashville to add its foundation.
In fact, ESPN’s Craig Custance ranks among those who report that Forsberg, 19, could even get a few reps at the NHL level this season. Whether he does or not, this could be a big move for Nashville’s future.
Even if it means some pain in the present.
* – The team didn’t even put together a “tribute video” during Suter’s return to Nashville, which seems to be pretty commonplace for former Predators with a few years of service.
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 12
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 16
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 17
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (77)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)