Apr 3, 2013, 6:35 PM EDT
It’s not exactly a secret that Ryan Suter left the Nashville Predators on bad terms, at least with GM David Poile.* Martin Erat could be another long-term guy who might hear some boos whenever he’s back in town.
While he fetched an impressive bounty in the form of first-rounder Filip Forsberg, some could still have issues with the fact that Erat requested a trade. Poile didn’t deny that to Fox Sports South’s John Manasso.
“I can’t sugarcoat it, it’s really disappointing,” Poile said.
Yet while Suter left a crater behind on the team’s defense, the 31-year-old Erat’s trade request might have opened the door for Nashville to add its foundation.
In fact, ESPN’s Craig Custance ranks among those who report that Forsberg, 19, could even get a few reps at the NHL level this season. Whether he does or not, this could be a big move for Nashville’s future.
Even if it means some pain in the present.
* – The team didn’t even put together a “tribute video” during Suter’s return to Nashville, which seems to be pretty commonplace for former Predators with a few years of service.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 30
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 14
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 10
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54