Apr 3, 2013, 2:04 PM EST
One of the most highly-touted prospects in the Florida organization is going pro.
That’s the word out of Sunrise on Wednesday as the Panthers announced they’ve signed Nick Bjugstad to an entry-level deal.
Bjugstad, 20, was Florida’s first-round pick (19th overall) at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft.
He’s spent the last three seasons with the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers — scoring 46 goals over the last two seasons — and represented Team USA at the 2011 and ’12 World Junior Championships, capturing a bronze medal in ’11.
Bjugstad’s name has been a popular one in NHL circles over the last year, despite him playing collegiate hockey.
Last fall, a report surfaced that Florida was reluctant to give up Bjugstad in a potential Roberto Luongo deal, leading many to speculate that Vancouver GM Mike Gillis had requested the 6-foot-6, 215-pound forward in any Luongo-related trade.
It’s possible that Florida will bring Bjugstad straight to the NHL for some seasoning, though they could opt to send him straight to AHL San Antonio.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)