Apr 3, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT
Mike Ribeiro stood out as one of the most intriguing wild cards of the 2013 trade deadline, but it appears that the Washington Capitals decided to keep him on Wednesday. Ribeiro told CSNWashington.com that he’s just fine with that.
“I think we have a good thing going here,” Ribeiro said. “We’re close to the division [lead], close to making the playoffs. I don’t really see myself moved or signed today. We’ll just get focused for the game tomorrow.”
The 33-year-old’s future remains in doubt beyond this season; the team and the pending unrestricted free agent appear to be at odds on the term of a contract extension, among other things.
He sounds like he’s just focusing on the present, which hasn’t been looking too shabby, as he’s tied with Nicklas Backstrom for second place in team scoring at 35 points this season.
“I don’t think I’m worried if I’ll sign for next season,” Ribeiro said. “That will happen. It was more to know if I’m staying here or not. With the last two weeks or so, I think you can see potential in what we can do.
“I’m happy here and hopefully we can keep winning and make the playoffs. … If we make the playoffs and we win in the playoffs then it will be easier to sign after.”
Note: the entire hockey world is waiting for word on a Capitals deal, so there’s an outside chance Ribeiro did get traded. Stay tuned.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)