Apr 3, 2013, 4:30 PM EST
Mike Ribeiro stood out as one of the most intriguing wild cards of the 2013 trade deadline, but it appears that the Washington Capitals decided to keep him on Wednesday. Ribeiro told CSNWashington.com that he’s just fine with that.
“I think we have a good thing going here,” Ribeiro said. “We’re close to the division [lead], close to making the playoffs. I don’t really see myself moved or signed today. We’ll just get focused for the game tomorrow.”
The 33-year-old’s future remains in doubt beyond this season; the team and the pending unrestricted free agent appear to be at odds on the term of a contract extension, among other things.
He sounds like he’s just focusing on the present, which hasn’t been looking too shabby, as he’s tied with Nicklas Backstrom for second place in team scoring at 35 points this season.
“I don’t think I’m worried if I’ll sign for next season,” Ribeiro said. “That will happen. It was more to know if I’m staying here or not. With the last two weeks or so, I think you can see potential in what we can do.
“I’m happy here and hopefully we can keep winning and make the playoffs. … If we make the playoffs and we win in the playoffs then it will be easier to sign after.”
Note: the entire hockey world is waiting for word on a Capitals deal, so there’s an outside chance Ribeiro did get traded. Stay tuned.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)