Apr 3, 2013, 4:30 PM EST
Mike Ribeiro stood out as one of the most intriguing wild cards of the 2013 trade deadline, but it appears that the Washington Capitals decided to keep him on Wednesday. Ribeiro told CSNWashington.com that he’s just fine with that.
“I think we have a good thing going here,” Ribeiro said. “We’re close to the division [lead], close to making the playoffs. I don’t really see myself moved or signed today. We’ll just get focused for the game tomorrow.”
The 33-year-old’s future remains in doubt beyond this season; the team and the pending unrestricted free agent appear to be at odds on the term of a contract extension, among other things.
He sounds like he’s just focusing on the present, which hasn’t been looking too shabby, as he’s tied with Nicklas Backstrom for second place in team scoring at 35 points this season.
“I don’t think I’m worried if I’ll sign for next season,” Ribeiro said. “That will happen. It was more to know if I’m staying here or not. With the last two weeks or so, I think you can see potential in what we can do.
“I’m happy here and hopefully we can keep winning and make the playoffs. … If we make the playoffs and we win in the playoffs then it will be easier to sign after.”
Note: the entire hockey world is waiting for word on a Capitals deal, so there’s an outside chance Ribeiro did get traded. Stay tuned.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)