Apr 3, 2013, 4:30 PM EST
Mike Ribeiro stood out as one of the most intriguing wild cards of the 2013 trade deadline, but it appears that the Washington Capitals decided to keep him on Wednesday. Ribeiro told CSNWashington.com that he’s just fine with that.
“I think we have a good thing going here,” Ribeiro said. “We’re close to the division [lead], close to making the playoffs. I don’t really see myself moved or signed today. We’ll just get focused for the game tomorrow.”
The 33-year-old’s future remains in doubt beyond this season; the team and the pending unrestricted free agent appear to be at odds on the term of a contract extension, among other things.
He sounds like he’s just focusing on the present, which hasn’t been looking too shabby, as he’s tied with Nicklas Backstrom for second place in team scoring at 35 points this season.
“I don’t think I’m worried if I’ll sign for next season,” Ribeiro said. “That will happen. It was more to know if I’m staying here or not. With the last two weeks or so, I think you can see potential in what we can do.
“I’m happy here and hopefully we can keep winning and make the playoffs. … If we make the playoffs and we win in the playoffs then it will be easier to sign after.”
Note: the entire hockey world is waiting for word on a Capitals deal, so there’s an outside chance Ribeiro did get traded. Stay tuned.
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 58
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 12