Apr 3, 2013, 4:42 PM EST
Why does the 33-year-old goalie think general manager Mike Gillis has been unable to pull the trigger on a deal?
“My contract sucks,” said Luongo, referring to the 12-year, $64 million deal that runs through 2021-22. “Unfortunately, it’s a big factor in trading me and it’s probably why I’m still here.”
He added: “I’d scrap it if I could right now.”
But Luongo can’t scrap his contract; all he can do is get prepared to back up Cory Schneider down the stretch and into the playoffs.
“I’m going to gather myself and be 100 per cent dedicated in whatever capacity,” he said. “I would like nothing better than to win a Cup.”
And you never know — the way this soap opera’s gone, Luongo could still play a vital role for the Canucks this spring.
As for Gillis, there was no big explanation why his team still has almost $10 million in cap space allocated to goalies.
“It didn’t come together,” he said.
“We’ve been close a number of times. We were listening a lot and confident in getting something done.”
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 1
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 7
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 19
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 44
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 38
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)