Apr 3, 2013, 4:42 PM EDT
Why does the 33-year-old goalie think general manager Mike Gillis has been unable to pull the trigger on a deal?
“My contract sucks,” said Luongo, referring to the 12-year, $64 million deal that runs through 2021-22. “Unfortunately, it’s a big factor in trading me and it’s probably why I’m still here.”
He added: “I’d scrap it if I could right now.”
But Luongo can’t scrap his contract; all he can do is get prepared to back up Cory Schneider down the stretch and into the playoffs.
“I’m going to gather myself and be 100 per cent dedicated in whatever capacity,” he said. “I would like nothing better than to win a Cup.”
And you never know — the way this soap opera’s gone, Luongo could still play a vital role for the Canucks this spring.
As for Gillis, there was no big explanation why his team still has almost $10 million in cap space allocated to goalies.
“It didn’t come together,” he said.
“We’ve been close a number of times. We were listening a lot and confident in getting something done.”
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)