Luongo: ‘My contract sucks’

Apr 3, 2013, 4:42 PM EDT

Roberto Luongo

An emotional Roberto Luongo addressed reporters Wednesday after the NHL trade deadline passed and he was still a member of the Vancouver Canucks.

Why does the 33-year-old goalie think general manager Mike Gillis has been unable to pull the trigger on a deal?

“My contract sucks,” said Luongo, referring to the 12-year, $64 million deal that runs through 2021-22. “Unfortunately, it’s a big factor in trading me and it’s probably why I’m still here.”

He added: “I’d scrap it if I could right now.”

But Luongo can’t scrap his contract; all he can do is get prepared to back up Cory Schneider down the stretch and into the playoffs.

“I’m going to gather myself and be 100 per cent dedicated in whatever capacity,” he said. “I would like nothing better than to win a Cup.”

And you never know — the way this soap opera’s gone, Luongo could still play a vital role for the Canucks this spring.

As for Gillis, there was no big explanation why his team still has almost $10 million in cap space allocated to goalies.

“It didn’t come together,” he said.

“We’ve been close a number of times. We were listening a lot and confident in getting something done.”

1. ethanmacleod1685 - Apr 3, 2013 at 4:48 PM

What a load of crap

2. bigtganks - Apr 3, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Thank you for telling it like it is Lu, and it boils my blood when Gillis comes out and acts like we’re all idiots saying “contract price or term has never come up as an obstacle”, “Roberto is being emotional and we’ll let things settle down”.

Stop acting like we’re all fools MG. Everyone knows the issue is the term. EVERYONE KNOWS.

Also, please tell MG that PP ranking is NOT based on total goals, but on conversion percentage. “Well, we’re 30th, but you can’t score if you don’t get PP chances”. Dude… Someone get Pat Riley on the phone with MG to tell him to STFU.

I can’t believe he’s speaking to everyone like this…

• steverolley - Apr 3, 2013 at 5:02 PM

great post, bang on

now just get ready for all the Gillis Kool Aid drinkers to get on here and tell you everything great he has done.

• 19to77 - Apr 4, 2013 at 3:02 AM

Like trade Grabner for Ballard, or Samuelsson for Booth, or let Ehrhoff and Salo, the keys to the former best power play in the NHL, go for functionally nothing.

Seriously, people, Mike Gillis is a bad GM. It’s time to face fact here. The team was good enough to win those Presidents’ Trophies more in spite of him than because of.

3. radio854321 - Apr 3, 2013 at 4:53 PM

seriously PHT its been a while whats going on with Crosbys mouth…

• govtminion - Apr 3, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Step in traffic.

• whammy71 - Apr 3, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Crosby is fine – Geno is preparing for beast mode in his absence. The Rags will go down tonight. Thank you for your concern!

• jpelle82 - Apr 3, 2013 at 6:29 PM

if you need to know and change this post to a penguins comment section…shero said today he had another dental surgery on his teeth today – cosmetic i assume and he refused to put a timetable on his return. said they are waiting to see if infection plays a part(common for mouth surgery) before they guess on his return.

4. bucrightoff - Apr 3, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Comments like this make me believe they’re going to have to buy him out or trade him for nothing.

5. thedavesiknowiknow - Apr 3, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Did they ever catch the guy who broke into his agent’s office and held the two of them at gun-point while forcing him to sign the deal by moving his hand with a pen duct-taped to it?

• kitshky - Apr 3, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Just curious, did you actually watch his comments or just read the title of the article?

• elvispocomo - Apr 3, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Is he wrong? The players that sign back-diving contracts have just as much responsibility as the GMs that offer them.

• kitshky - Apr 3, 2013 at 5:54 PM

No, he’s not wrong …nobody forced him to sign his contract by duct-taping his hand to a pen. Thanks for clearing that up.

The actual point though, is Luongo didn’t just come out and pout “my contract sucks” because he’s upset he’s guaranteed millions of dollars but isn’t in a perfect situation (he actually addressed that exact point) … it was a quick crack that was part of a far more emotional, nuanced, retrospective response and to make some stupid crack like “nobody forced you to sign” is to pretty much completely miss the point.

But ya sure did get me on the duct-taped pen part…

• jpelle82 - Apr 3, 2013 at 6:32 PM

im sure neither of them expected schneider to be the man when they made this deal. they were paying luongo as the franchise player he is and they thought they had the most bothersome position on a team sured up for the next decade or so. circumstances happened and this is why the league has banned these contracts moving forward

• crashtheboards55 - Apr 3, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Yeah no kidding. Pisses me off to read atheletes complaining about making millions of dollars. Idiots

• kitshky - Apr 3, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Ya it would totally piss me off too if Luongo was complaining about making millions of dollars …

• jpelle82 - Apr 3, 2013 at 6:36 PM

he isnt, he got his money and set it aside in his mind…he thought he had it taken care of and could just focus on being the best goalie he could be. then enter schneider and luongo is no longer playing everyday. so his focus shifts to being a number 1 somewhere else and then bam! that money thing he thought he put away in the corner creeps back up on him and ruins his life. he just wants to play and i dont blame him, as a man you want to feel like you’re earning your money and honestly he isnt right now

• nothanksimdriving123 - Apr 3, 2013 at 6:43 PM

OK, i really do understand what he meant about how the enormity of his contract might well be a stumbling block to his being traded. Serious question: Is there anything legally preventing him and his employer agreeing to sit down and renegotiate a new contract?

6. kitshky - Apr 3, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Class act.

7. canucks18 - Apr 3, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Davesiknow…. I’m pretty sure when Lou signed the extension he wasn’t thinking that 3 years into it that he’d be getting ushered out of town.
    Think before you type on your moms computer bud.

• thedavesiknowiknow - Apr 3, 2013 at 6:12 PM

A mom joke…..nice shot. I’ll just wait until you graduate to fire back.

• revansrevenant - Apr 3, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Measuring tape is hard to find on the internet. Makes these contests kind of a yawn.

• thedavesiknowiknow - Apr 3, 2013 at 10:49 PM

revansrevenant- it’s 3 feet long, and as you may have guessed I’m only 4 feet tall.

8. kicksave1980 - Apr 3, 2013 at 5:34 PM

You know, I hate the Canucks, but while what you’re reading here in the story is true, it doesn’t really reflect what Luongo was saying. Watching his press conference live, I wasn’t under the impression that he was being a baby about it. He was fairly engaging with the media in attendance, and even cracked a couple of light-hearted jokes. I understood what he meant when he talked about his contract, and as much I hate it when people play the “out of context” card, it certainly applies here.

• ikillchicken - Apr 3, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Yup, and this is exactly why we usually don’t see this kind of honesty. But hey, next week when a player delivers nothing but a stream of mind numbing cliches when interviewed we can all whine about how boring it is.

9. crashtheboards55 - Apr 3, 2013 at 5:53 PM

My contract sucks. Yep making all that $ to play a game is terrible. Crybaby punk. Get a real job and do real work and then complain. A$$hole. Wish i could make 64 million dollars.

• bigtganks - Apr 3, 2013 at 5:57 PM

“My Contract Sucks” = “The amount of term and money I have left on this awesome contract of mine is actually preventing me from being traded because they have to pay me (this awesome amount of money) for the next nine years.”

• desertfan - Apr 3, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Don’t lose too much sleep over the $64mil.

Based on your intelligence start focusing on $6400.

• crashtheboards55 - Apr 3, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Really that is all you have? Based on hour intelligence if you aren’t sucking di@k you are thinking about it. You probably some welfare junkie living off of the hard work of others. Dumbass.

10. stakex - Apr 3, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Well lets be honest… its not JUST his contract thats keeping a deal from happening. Gillis has made it clear he expects a good return for Luongo… which just isn’t going to happen. Sure, its not going to happen because of his contract, but Gillis needs to understand that and start looking to get a reasonable return, which isn’t much.

11. johnstone17 - Apr 3, 2013 at 7:09 PM

You signed it nit wit.

12. mgp1219 - Apr 3, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Someone pump his tires!!

13. canucks30 - Apr 3, 2013 at 9:33 PM

14. earpaniac - Apr 3, 2013 at 11:41 PM

I have a soft spot for him ever since they asked him if he’d mind playing in the UC for the ‘Hawks and he answered, “No, I shouldn’t. I’ve already heard that song a lot.” I’m sorry, but that’s funny!

15. blomfeld - Apr 4, 2013 at 1:08 AM

“UH HONEY … DO YOU MIND TAKING OUT THE GARBAGE?”

Friends, the bottom line is that Luongo is “not” marching to the drumbeat of his own greedy “self-made” contractual limitations, Mike Gillis or even the Aqulini’s. On the contrary, the one calling the shots here is none other than “Madame Luongo” back home in Florida. Make no mistake about it, as there’s a reason why that woman chose to never live here in Vancouver. Regardless, Luongo will now “sit put” for the time being. Or at least until July, when I see the Canucks being “obliged” to sending him back to Florida for essentially nothing in return, while having to write-off his ridiculous “AIG-sized” contract on their books as a loss under depreciation.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches