Apr 3, 2013, 10:13 AM EST
It’s unclear what uniform 35-year-old Mark Streit will be wearing next season, but it looks like he’ll play out this season in New York Islanders colors.
Snow is in a difficult position. The Islanders have a real shot of making the playoffs for the first time since 2007. Trading away Streit could undermine that but, at the same time, the Islanders’ core is still developing and they’re not yet viewed as a legitimate Stanley Cup contender.
Watching Streit walk away as an unrestricted free agent this summer — when the Islanders could have gotten top draft picks or prospects for him — would be painful.
It’s worth noting that the gap between Streit and the Islanders is reportedly $500,000 per season, so perhaps the two sides can still come together before the summer.
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 15
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 2
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)