Apr 3, 2013, 10:13 AM EST
It’s unclear what uniform 35-year-old Mark Streit will be wearing next season, but it looks like he’ll play out this season in New York Islanders colors.
Snow is in a difficult position. The Islanders have a real shot of making the playoffs for the first time since 2007. Trading away Streit could undermine that but, at the same time, the Islanders’ core is still developing and they’re not yet viewed as a legitimate Stanley Cup contender.
Watching Streit walk away as an unrestricted free agent this summer — when the Islanders could have gotten top draft picks or prospects for him — would be painful.
It’s worth noting that the gap between Streit and the Islanders is reportedly $500,000 per season, so perhaps the two sides can still come together before the summer.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 44
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)