Apr 3, 2013, 10:13 AM EST
It’s unclear what uniform 35-year-old Mark Streit will be wearing next season, but it looks like he’ll play out this season in New York Islanders colors.
Snow is in a difficult position. The Islanders have a real shot of making the playoffs for the first time since 2007. Trading away Streit could undermine that but, at the same time, the Islanders’ core is still developing and they’re not yet viewed as a legitimate Stanley Cup contender.
Watching Streit walk away as an unrestricted free agent this summer — when the Islanders could have gotten top draft picks or prospects for him — would be painful.
It’s worth noting that the gap between Streit and the Islanders is reportedly $500,000 per season, so perhaps the two sides can still come together before the summer.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)