Apr 3, 2013, 10:13 AM EDT
It’s unclear what uniform 35-year-old Mark Streit will be wearing next season, but it looks like he’ll play out this season in New York Islanders colors.
Snow is in a difficult position. The Islanders have a real shot of making the playoffs for the first time since 2007. Trading away Streit could undermine that but, at the same time, the Islanders’ core is still developing and they’re not yet viewed as a legitimate Stanley Cup contender.
Watching Streit walk away as an unrestricted free agent this summer — when the Islanders could have gotten top draft picks or prospects for him — would be painful.
It’s worth noting that the gap between Streit and the Islanders is reportedly $500,000 per season, so perhaps the two sides can still come together before the summer.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 9
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 2
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 13
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)