Apr 3, 2013, 6:10 PM EDT
Jay Feaster has been heavily criticized for failing to recognize a bad situation as general manager of the Calgary Flames.
Ask most observers what they’d do in Feaster’s position and they’d say, “Tear it down. Start again.”
And they were saying the same thing last year. And the year before that. And before that, too.
But the Flames steadfastly refused to enter a rebuilding phase.
Is it possible, however, that it’s ownership, not Feaster, that’s been the most reluctant to accept a few losing seasons in order to build a contender for the long term?
We only ask because this is what Feaster had to say today when the trade deadline passed: “Murray Edwards told me last evening that he expects to be in the playoffs next year, so there’s my marching order.”
Edwards, in case it wasn’t obvious, is one of the Flames’ owners. In fact, he’s the chairman.
Feaster, of course, knows Edwards as “the guy who can fire me.” So what choice does the GM have but to follow orders?
Now, that said, let’s not pretend that Feaster has just been carrying out the orders of his delusional bosses all this time.
Feaster admitted recently that he’d erred in his approach.
“I should have had the intellectual honesty even earlier and said this isn’t working,” he said. “So shame on me, but I’m making sure we’re going to correct that going forward.”
The Flames have 14 games left to avoid missing the playoffs for the fourth straight time.
They head into tonight’s contest versus Edmonton eight points back of eighth place in the Western Conference.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 28
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 111
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 79
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (111)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (79)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)