Apr 3, 2013, 10:11 AM EDT
After watching defenseman Joni Pitkanen suffer a broken heel bone on an icing chase Tuesday night — an injury that will shelf Pitkanen for the rest of the season — Carolina head coach Kirk Muller said a change in icing rules should’ve happened already.
“I think it’s long overdue,” Muller told the Washington Times. “There’s no real benefit in the game on it compared to what can happen to guys.
“The automatic icing, it should be there for sure.”
On Wednesday, the ‘Canes announced that Pitkanen would be out 10-12 weeks after suffering a broken left calcaneus bone (heel) after ramming into the end boards following a puck pursuit with Caps forward Troy Brouwer:
The injury has renewed calls for hybrid icing.
A mixture of touch and no-touch icing, hybrid icing gives the linesman the discretion to blow his whistle and stop the play if he believes the defending player will reach the puck first.
Of note, the American Hockey League used hybrid icing during the lockout, but resumed to standard icing rules once the NHL resumed play.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 14
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 15
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 29
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)