Apr 3, 2013, 10:11 AM EDT
After watching defenseman Joni Pitkanen suffer a broken heel bone on an icing chase Tuesday night — an injury that will shelf Pitkanen for the rest of the season — Carolina head coach Kirk Muller said a change in icing rules should’ve happened already.
“I think it’s long overdue,” Muller told the Washington Times. “There’s no real benefit in the game on it compared to what can happen to guys.
“The automatic icing, it should be there for sure.”
On Wednesday, the ‘Canes announced that Pitkanen would be out 10-12 weeks after suffering a broken left calcaneus bone (heel) after ramming into the end boards following a puck pursuit with Caps forward Troy Brouwer:
The injury has renewed calls for hybrid icing.
A mixture of touch and no-touch icing, hybrid icing gives the linesman the discretion to blow his whistle and stop the play if he believes the defending player will reach the puck first.
Of note, the American Hockey League used hybrid icing during the lockout, but resumed to standard icing rules once the NHL resumed play.
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 3
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 10
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 7
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 28
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)