Apr 3, 2013, 10:11 AM EST
After watching defenseman Joni Pitkanen suffer a broken heel bone on an icing chase Tuesday night — an injury that will shelf Pitkanen for the rest of the season — Carolina head coach Kirk Muller said a change in icing rules should’ve happened already.
“I think it’s long overdue,” Muller told the Washington Times. “There’s no real benefit in the game on it compared to what can happen to guys.
“The automatic icing, it should be there for sure.”
On Wednesday, the ‘Canes announced that Pitkanen would be out 10-12 weeks after suffering a broken left calcaneus bone (heel) after ramming into the end boards following a puck pursuit with Caps forward Troy Brouwer:
The injury has renewed calls for hybrid icing.
A mixture of touch and no-touch icing, hybrid icing gives the linesman the discretion to blow his whistle and stop the play if he believes the defending player will reach the puck first.
Of note, the American Hockey League used hybrid icing during the lockout, but resumed to standard icing rules once the NHL resumed play.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)